Monday, May 7, 2018

"It's a String Thing" #241 Tiles

Lily Moon's new Caracole paired with Sandy Bartholomew's Mumsy was just what we need to welcome to Spring.  Sharyn Penna, CZT described this week's challenge well with this closing:
"Cheers to all that is joyful and whimsical!"  

Let's take a look ~

The first tile arrived from Amy L (Connecticut) ~
Today was a beautiful sunny, spring day in May, so I embraced the flowers and added cyme and some other organic looking tangles. I decided to use renaissance because I thought it would enhance mumsy. I really enjoyed caracole, mumsy took some more convincing, so thanks for the link to your earlier post. And thanks again, for a great tile inspiration!
 Tangled Tidbits -
*a festive mix of tangles
*alternating plain, shaded, and white aura-ed spaces


From Baafke (The Netherlands) ~
I think the spring is the most beautiful season.
All those colors green and spring flowers.
And also my birth month.
Sweet spring-greetings for everyone!
 Tangled Tidbits -
Happy Birthday to you!
*delicate border and string lines
*red centers of Mumsy and dark circle surround of Caracole


From Lynn G (Florida) ~
Lily Moon’s new tangle is really a fun one with SO many possibilities. I enjoyed learning it.
 Tangled Tidbits -
*beautiful finishes of Caracole sections
*blue accents, dark center aura, for Mumsy



From Susie (St. Louis, Missouri) ~
Tangled Tidbits -
*large, single layered sections of Caracole filled with wonderful details
*Mumsy aura-ed on outer edge of each petal


From Miriam G (Port Hueneme, California) ~
Don't you just love these two patterns?! So enjoyable to draw, and great fun together. I decided at the last minute to add a little watercolor, just for a bit of 'pop'. (And because I've been painting everything I see lately - HA!)
Have a good weekend - 'May the Fourth be with you'
 Tangled Tidbits -
*added color on the steeply angled Caracole sections pops the white space
*beautifully billowing Mumsy


From Juul (France) ~
Tangled Tidbits -
*pretty Mumsy variations
*lined and filled details for Caracole



From Gale Sherman (Tucson, Arizona) ~
The weather is so springy I added my new favorite flower Jody Genovese's "PetalPuddle to the lovely (and known) tangles by Sandy Bartholomew and Lilly Moon. I think the patterns make a lovely threesome. I used Tombow markers for the color and then graphite for shading. Whenever I can add gold metallic I seem to. There is a "no mistakes in Zentangle" but I subscribe the Navaho belief that a mistake lets the evil out. No one wants perfect!
 Tangled Tidbits -
Amen to that!
*colorful burst of Caracole
*Mumsy fades into the border lines
Jody will have to share that tangle with us.


From Shirley Wohlsen (Queensland, Australia) ~
While we don’t have Spring in Australia (but Autumn) I’m still inspired to create a bouquet and hope for some of those April showers in May.
Sandy’s Mumsy tangle is so appropriate for this month and for me, as in Australia we celebrate Mothers Day on the 13th and I have a Birthday a few days later. I admire Lily’s beautiful work so it’s a pleasure to use her tangle and I hope I can do it justice.
 Tangled Tidbits -
Happy Birthday to you, too, Shirley!
*lightly tangled Caracole stretches passed the border
*black background adds even more dimension to the beautifully shaded tangles


From Hilary (Rome, Italy) ~
Greetings from Rome. Well, you really chose two great patterns for this week! I am looking forward to using them again, and I’m eager to see everyone else’s work. I’m imagining lovely explosions of Caracole and Mumsy. They really look like fireworks!
 Tangled Tidbits -
*explosions, for sure! - just like these Mumsy and Caracole
*two Spring-y Mumsy variations


From Jutta Gladnigg, CZT (NRW, Germany) ~
This began with a coffee-stained white Zendala tile that Jane from Dorking, U.K., creator of last week’s IAST 240 tile for honors, had sent me some time ago. Again I had kept it for a suitable moment… and today was the day.
So now you know the reason for those sprinkles all over the background of this tile. Sometimes my Micron PN accidentally even scratched away some remnants of the coffee powder that had stuck to the paper… Fun!
Drawing with different pens and colouring with layers of Polychromos colour pencils took me quite some time… When I put down my pens, it was midnight again and the rest of the family already in deep sleep. I have not used these patterns before, so thank you, Adele, for introducing them in your great challenge. Thanks to Lily Moon and S. S. Bartholomew as well.
 Tangled Tidbits -
Doesn't time pass quickly and quietly when tangling is involved?
*glorious layers of color and line
*each layer of Caracole features its own colorfully tangled finish


From Sra (India) ~
I really struggled with the string this time. When I see the tiles here, I always marvel at the interpretations, while mine seem to be very literal.
I did an entire tile that seemed really busy and over the top for such a simple string. I may go back to it later. The brainwave for this tile struck me some time after I had finished with the other tile this afternoon. Who says I have to fill the spaces in the string, I asked myself. And, why couldn’t the space between the two arcs of the string be mine? And voila, here I am!
The other observation I had was: I’ve doodled so many stars, flowers and random shapes since I was a child. Like everyone else, in the margins and edges of notebooks in school, while taking notes during meetings, watching TV - and now find that Zentangle has many of the same or similar designs. However, when I have to use them on a tile, I practise and despair over some of them, the same ones that I drew mindlessly and easily earlier. Does anyone else fave this peculiarity? I’d love to know.
I’ve had this experience quite a few times now. Mumsy was one such. I drew it better rough than on the tile.
On the whole, though, I’m very pleased with myself for my non-linear idea!
 Tangled Tidbits -
Your musings are familiar to most, I would dare to say.  I think that as adults we have to work at regaining the spontaneity and confidence that we enjoyed as children - a great benefit practicing the Zentangle Method provides.
*very creative use of the string
*a Milky Way of Mumsy and Caracole variations


From Nor'dzin (Wales, United Kingdom) ~
Thank you for this week’s challenge - two new tangles for me. I was so impressed by everybody’s amazing cubine last week, that I couldn’t resist having another try at it. It was one of the first tangles I learned, and I think I had rather missed the point with it!
Thanks also for the list of certified teachers. Most fortunately there is a one only 50 miles from me, and she holds courses, so I will definitely be getting in touch with her soon.
 Tangled Tidbits -
Good news all around!  I am so happy that you have a CZT near - and your Cubine is divine.
*corner spray of Mumsy
*colorful Caracole finishes


From Cha'Co (France) ~
Here is my contribution to the IAST #241.
It was a long time since I had not participated in a IAST (time goes so fast ...) but I could not resist these two tangles so fun.
Happy May with full, full of flowers !
 Tangled Tidbits -
Welcome back!
*deep contrast of background and tangles
*elegant look created with simple aura and enthatching, too


A very warm welcome to our newest IAST contributor, Marloes Vis van Heemst (The Netherlands) ~
My first entry for your challenge. Finally I'm ready in time to submit.
I'm tangling since March this year and like your challenge very much to learn new tangles and have some leading by your strings. It's very inspiring to see the many creative things your participants come up with.
 Tangled Tidbits -
Thank you, Marloes.
*just a touch of rounding transforms Caracole
*lovely Mumsy connected with Printemps
Welcome to our IAST community, and welcome to our Tangled Map, Marloes.




From Margarete Gilge (Germany) and here on her blog ~
thank you for this wonderful challenge this week again! Caracole is a splendid versatile pattern. I enjoyed tangling it.
A second tile you can find on my blog...
Your „door-able“ is a great idea to show your art !
Best wishes from Germany,
 Tangled Tidbits -
Thank you, Margarete.
*spectacular Caracole bursts
*Mumsy finished with a Caracole touch


From Karin (Germany) ~
this is my entry to challenge 241.
Unbelievable that I did not tangle for three months. Time seems to run…
Have a sunny may!
Greetings from Germany
 Tangled Tidbits -
Welcome back to you, too, Karin - time does run!
*shaded string line and border
*single tangle for each section and two lovely Caracole variations



From Gabi (Germany) ~
Sun is shining and spring is all around - what a nice theme for this IAST.
Only used Mumsy in combination with StoneStory (from Tina Hunziker).
Have a nice springtime
 Tangled Tidbits -
*string as white space, dark border, shaded white spaces
*Mumsy pops against deep, dark StoneStory



From Laurel Davis, CZT (New York) ~
What fun to draw these two beautiful tangles! Thank you for this wonderful challenge.
 Tangled Tidbits -
*glowing, colorful Mumsy
*starry, starry Caracole - love that!


From Sharyn Penna, CZT (Massachusetts) ~
My thanks to you for yet another prompt that offers a perfect combination of tangles.
Lily Moon’s tangles are so joyful! Her Caracole reminds me of the Official tangle, Spoken, with a twist. And with Sandy Bartholomew’s whimsical Mumsy tangle, I had to give a nod to her Btl Joos tangle in one variation of Caracole.
My daughter said my tile looks like a garden of succulents.
Cheers to all that is joyful and whimsical.
 Tangled Tidbits -
Sensational succulents, it is!
*lovely layering of tangles
*multiple variations of both Caracole and Mumsy



From Trudi (Woodview, Ontario, Canada) ~
Spring has finally arrived here in central Ontario but the wind storm yesterday made me wonder if it was going to blow on by. Two trees were down on the highway on our way home, a neighbour had removed a third on our Fire Route and a fourth was hanging uprooted over our boathouse and shed but neither were hit as another tree caught it in its branches!
I really enjoyed doing these Tangles but somehow it didn't turn out on paper the way it was in my head? Oh well there is always next week.
 Tangled Tidbits -
That was some wind - so glad you were safe through it all.
*very pretty finishes for Caracole sections
*chrysanthemum look to Mumsy, full and colorful


From VenaC (Whitby, Ontario, Canada) ~
Two simple and lovely patterns but I really struggled to come up with a pleasing design. This is my fifth attempt. In spite of a bit of frustration I ended up enjoying the process. Your challenges make my week. Thanks for that. Have a great week.
 Tangled Tidbits -
Thank you for that, Vena :)
*rounded angles and curls adorn Caracole
*Mumsy branches out and finishes with curls of its own



This is my tile ~
I'll chalk this one up to a relaxing experiment :)  I began with Lily's Caracole and then decided to simply aura it in a Mumsy fashion to show even more contrast between the two tangles. One of the aura lines went quite off the intended mark, so I filled it with perfs.  A field of Mumsy followed and then I decided to shade with a light grey Tombow marker - a frivolous and fun thing to do, but certainly not as soft a finish as graphite provides...


From Priscilla DeConti, CZT (Kingston, New York) ~
Learning to love this new tangle.
Along with mumsy in pink for spring!
Have a great week all
 Tangled Tidbits -
*tangles are "pretty in pink"
*two variations of each tangle


From Ingrid (The Netherlands) ~
Here is my tile # 241 for this week.
 Tangled Tidbits -
*deep contrasts in black/white and line/curve
*enthatching in alternating Caracole sections


From Karen Herstowski (Atlanta, Georgia) ~
I started out with this (below): I tried to accent the Caracole ellipse by using pencil shadow, which made it look muddy to me. Mumsy has blackish borders around the petals (like a coloring book) - they were actually deep purple, but photographed blackish. Felt kind of lukewarm about it. I wanted spring flower colors but seemed to obtain “dingy” instead. Both are great tangles and were fun to work with.

THEN: I saw your new work “table" email. So loved the color and hint of MacKenzie-Childs. Inspired; I started over. Used "Courtly Check" around the border and changed to gold, red, black and white, which is so MacKenzie. It gave me a vibrant look that I like better than the first attempt, albeit not really spring colors. Thanks for a fun visual inspiration. Enjoy that "A-door-able”. What a great piece.
 Tangled Tidbits -
Thank you for the table compliments, an honor coming from your designer's eye AND great fun that it inspired another creation!
*highlights top colorful Mumsy petals
*Caracole filled from dark to light, transitions at the string line
*corner burst of red tipped Mumsy


From ARHuelsenbeck (Arizona) ~
I used to draw chrysanthemums like this 55 years ago, before Zentangle was a thing. Caracole is new to me. Thanks for the challenge!
 Tangled Tidbits -
Don't you love that tangling revisits things from the past like that?
*full, flowering layers of Mumsy
*long, sharply angled Caracole


From Jane (Boulder, Colorado) ~
...a little symmetry (ish) with Caracole and Mumsy and lots of delicious darkness...simple like my usual style, and I love it!
Thanks for all you do for the Zentangle community!
 Tangled Tidbits -
*"delicious darkness", indeed - complimented by surrounding white space
*corner and full Mumsy bursts



From Lovelygiraffe (Japan) and on her Instagram ~
Tangled Tidbits -
*sparkling white on black, elegant colors against a beautiful backdrop 
*Mumsy filled Caracole and touches pop from behind as well



From Jody Genovese, CZT (New York) ~
Sending warm wishes your way. As usual getting in just under the gun, but wanted to make sure to get a tile in this week.
Thanks as always..loved these tangles.
 Tangled Tidbits -
*colorful, contrasting Mumsy peeks from behind, beneath, and through Caracole
*bold black and white finishes for Caracole


From Nova Belle (Texas) ~
This week I ended up with two tiles - I'm still not sure which one I prefer, so I suppose I'll leave it up to you?
The prompt was a challenge for me - I really don't like floral patterns. But I wanted to get into the spirit of things, so I did my best.
I pulled a small square of bright green paper from the scrap box at work - it seemed to fit the theme of fresh new growing things! I immediately enjoyed the effect of curving Caracole, so much that I repeated it in the second attempt. I did add some Mumsy in the bottom right, but I couldn't seem to tie any of the pieces together, so I just filled in the background with a dark green fineliner and left it at that. I wasn't terribly pleased with the result, which is why I gave it another go. Looking at it again, though, I can see it's not terrible.
I felt that my first attempt at Caracole reminded me of a lily pad somehow, so I repeated that. I also liked the rounded Caracole I'd done so I added that to the corner with no real plans. Looking it all over, I decided that I wanted to continue the lily pad theme, but also that the smaller Caracole was much darker than the first. I decided to add some Ginili and surround it with Mumsy petals, then wound in some Kelp to tie it all together.
I'm not sure either tile really worked, but I'm proud enough to have tackled something I wouldn't normally want to, so here you are.
This week's submission is dedicated to my brother's newborn, Evie, born May 1st! It's not necessary, but I'm super hyped about this baby, so I've been telling everyone I can.
 Tangled Tidbits -
Congratulations on your new niece! 
*curved Caracole - wonderful idea


*striking tangles, lovely shading
Yes, you should be very proud of your work as well as your niece :)


From Sharon Fite (California) ~
Spring is blooming all over northern California, but the weather is still lovely and mild. At first, I thought how are these two tangles going to go together? But with Zentangle, you just need to trust the process. I love Mumsy, but haven't used it in a while. Caracole is a great new tangle -- part circle, part spikey, all star, and fun to draw. I added Pokeleaf and Floo for fun. Might be a bit busy, but, like spring itself, abundance is good!
 Tangled Tidbits -
A good reminder that we "just need to trust the process."
*marvelous Mumsy bouquet
*three variations of Caracole


From Heather Temple (Killingworth, Connecticut) ~
Very quickly drawn the other day just to try them. Love Lily’s tangle. But I’m better at straight lines than organic stuff. Then looking at it last night decided to finish it and shade it.
Now this evening after the most glorious spring day (finally, here in CT) I added some color. I know mumsy is based on peonies but I’m not a fan of pink so went with orange/yellow and some springy blue and green.
Can’t decide which one I like better but am stuck with the colored one so I guess that’s it.
Thanks for your weekly challenges!
 Tangled Tidbits -
*lovely lined Caracole variations
*corner and full, highlighted and shaded Mumsy



From Cyndee Pelley (Oklahoma) and here on her blog ~
Hi from Oklahoma!
A lovely zenful challenge I couldn't put down! So here are my 2 tiles and I enjoyed each moment! Thank you! By the way, your table/door idea is inspired! Gets me thinking...
 Tangled Tidbits -
Yes...you will have to make one for yourself.
*glorious bursts of tangles, fabulous finishes and details
 *colorful tangles - one for each string section
*beautifully deep to light shades orange and yellow



From Lisette (Switzerland) ~
My contribution to IAST# 241 with Caracole, Mumsy and a border with Fancy Nancy by Adele.
Thank you for this challenge and big hugs
 Tangled Tidbits -
I love that border!
*multi-layered Caracole spiral
*soft shading and solid black backdrop


From Jane (Dorking, Surrey, United Kingdom) ~
I was so honoured to get your recognition last week, thank you, loved those tangles! This week's challenge I kept to the two prescribed, #mumsy and #caracole, with mumsy being one of the first tangles I ever drew! I loved rounding off all the corners of caracole too.
 Tangled Tidbits -
*spectacular Caracole variation - thick rounded lines, inner shading
*Mumsy tucked into every outer Caracole angle

Along with Mumsy, all of our tiles this week have honored Lily and her new tangle, Caracole.
I have saved her note and tile for last.  Enjoy!

From Lily (Hungary) and creator of the lovely Caracole ~
First of all thank you very much you had chosen my new tangle . Caracole. I'm honored!
Here is my tile:
Zenhug
Tangled Tidbits -
*Mumsy peeks through very dimensional Caracole lines
*large and small Mumsy corners
*border accented with perfs and aura


Many thanks to everyone for sending in your beautiful tiles, they inspire and motivate the rest of us!

Thank you to the artists whose tangles we used this week ~

Mumsy 
by CZT Sandy Bartholomew

Caracole by Lily Moon

Happy Spring!

Check back Tuesday afternoon for "It's a String Thing" #242!

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful collection again! Thank you for the challenge and congratulations everyone! ❤️️

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the round-up, Adele! - Sra

    ReplyDelete