Monday, January 16, 2017

"It's a String Thing" #179 Tiles

'Round and 'round we turned with our tangles and spiraled string this week.  Curlicues ranged from tight and intricate to more loose and relaxed.  Let's take a look~

The first tile arrived from Gudrun (Germany) ~
back in 2017, I wish you a peaceful year with many happy tangling moments.
Since 10 days we have really winter with cold nights (-10° ,--15° C) and really SNOW, for the first time in 10 years we have snow here, what a pleasure for children .
When I am tangling, I can see the winter landscape and enjoy it very much


Tangled Tidbits -
*curved swath of Betweed features a Dust Bunny edge
*Curl tipped lines


From Susie (St. Louis, Missouri) ~
Tangled Tidbits - 
*wispy variation of Betweed
*pretty shading


From Sharyn Penna (Massachusetts) ~
I wasn't sure how all the elements were going to work together. I followed the string lines, but dropped off the string's lead and tail, and added another curve to each spiral. I'm so happy with the results! And I love how the magnet orbs echo the sparkle in the tile.
Cheers to prompts that offer gigantic surprises!

Tangled Tidbits -
*weighted lines of Dust Bunny and interwoven spirals
*each Curl has its own sparkled orb - love how the frame's magnets blend in
*curved Betweed has graceful elegance


From Beth Gaughan (North Carolina) ~
Here is my tile for IAST 179.
Tangled Tidbits -
*three Betweed corners
*shading and multiple spirals make Dust Bunny pop


A very warm welcome to Nadia (Berlin, Germany) ~
This is my very first entry for your wonderful challenge and I just hope, I didn’t miss something 🙂

Tangled Tidbits -
*beautiful Betweed - angled, stacked, and starred
*clusters of Curl
Nadia is now on our tangled map.  Welcome! And you didn't "miss a thing."



From Tina Kirchhübel (Germany) and here on her blog ~
This was a difficult challenge. I like the loopy string and the patterns, too. But I had some problems to combine it all. I started in the mood of Zentangle without a plan or an idea. And this is what came out.Greetings from Germany
Tangled Tidbits -
*pretty contrasts: the tangle filled spaces and the white spaces
*straight lined Betweed and curvy Dust Bunny and Curl



From Katrina Handson (Florida) ~
Here's my entry for its a string thing # 179. It was a nice addition to my crazy first week back to school. I enjoyed all the tangles a lot for this weeks challenge. I really think the dust bunny is a neat idea for a tangle :) i included a lot more dust bunnys than I initially intended. ^.^ Hope everyone having a good week.
Tangled Tidbits -
*string line filled with Dust Bunny
*detailed field of Curl, shaded as a whole


From Susan (Untied Kingdom) ~
Loved drawing the dust bunnies – just seems a cheerful tangle, reminds me of rabbit tails. Betweed produces unexpected patterns which I like also.
Tangled Tidbits -
*Curl springs from each dip of Dust Bunny - how fun!
*bountiful Betweed


From Renee (Tennessee) ~
Tangled Tidbits -
*detailed Betweed background shaded around each one
*Curl shaded at the base of each stroke


From Jutta Gladnigg (NRW. Germany) ~
This was another unique selection of patterns and a cool string! Thank you, Adele, for this week’s challenge!!This time I drew the string onto a bijou-sized ripped off piece of paper tape (2“x2“) and after completion attached it onto a blank bijou tile which I had covered before in parts with pastel chalks.

Tangled Tidbits -
*a unique technique - very pretty subtle colors
*Dust Bunny string lines filled with thicker lined Curl


From Trudi (Woodview, Ontario) ~
Tangled Tidbits -
*gem filled string loops with a Dust Bunny accent (much like Gudrun's)
*beautiful effect to Betweed with curvy lines


This is my tile ~
I began with Dust Bunny along one string curve and it ended up inverted as the line spiraled inward.  This 'creative opportunity' gave little points for Curl to spring from.  I left the larger spiral purely Dust Bunny and filled in the other sections with Betweed.  I liked that one Betweed formed a squared corner and one followed the curved string line. It made the tile look better rotated 90°.  My frame magnet created a center point for the string's loop.



From Barbara Stayer (Germany) ~
today I have 2 tiles for your blog. Again I had the pleasure to learn two new tangles to me:
Dust Bunny and Curl. And so I drew two variations of the theme.
Love to be a part of your challenge.Greetings from Germany
 Tangled Tidbits -
*Curl and Dust Bunny string lines
*opposite Betweed corners
*shaded and penned Curl
*Betweed tucked into the string's loop



From Lori Byerly (Washington State) and here on her blog ~
Another lovely challenge. Thanks so much for the excuse to play and learn.Here's my tile.
Tangled Tidbits -
*large and lovely Curl incorporates the string
*puffs of Dust Bunny and black sparkled orbs


From Ria Matheussen, CZT (Belgium )and here on her website ~
Thank you for this challenge.
Especially in wintertime I like to draw on black tiles, therefore I have used one this time. They give special results I really like.
I have used a white and gold gelpen, chalk but also a small touch of colourpencil on Betweed.
Warm regards from a cold and snowy Belgium,
Tangled Tidbits -
I can see where this would warm you on a cold day.
*layered center curve of Dust Bunny
*Betweed anchors two corners and Curls floats through the border


From Joan Omans (Michigan) ~
Attached is my submission for this week's challenge. Dust Bunny and Curl were new to me and turned out to be quite fun to draw. I sometimes have trouble "seeing" how the chosen tangles fit with the string, but thanks to your challenges my horizons are ever expanding. Keep up the great work!
Tangled Tidbits -
*alternating white and Betweed sections fill Dust Bunny, with the addition of little orbs - great variation
*flowing Curl background


From Henrike Bratz (Germany) ~
I tangled my tile today in the morning at about half past four. I couldn’t sleep any longer, so I got up, made myself a cup of tea, lit a candle and sat down at my small table. The house was perfectly still and this was just perfect. When dawn came I noticed that the nicht had brought us some snow.
Tangled Tidbits -
That sounds like it was such a cozy time and place to tangle...
*Primtemps centered Dust Bunny
*radiating lines for creative Betweed variation featuring detail lines, shading, and sparkle
Notice how the string line and border remain visible in a few areas - a wonderful effect


From Ingrid (The Netherlands) ~
In the attachment my tile # 179 for this week.Hope your week will be a good and blessed one!
 Tangled Tidbits -
*shaded and densely lined points of Betweed lend wonderful weight to the tangle
*Curl and shading fill Dust Bunny as it flows along the string line


From Gabriela Garcia (Alberta, Canada) ~
What a beautiful string we got for this challenge and all the patterns very graceful and soft were perfect for it! I really enjoyed it! I decided to get out of my comfort zone and try "Betweed" into the curvy areas, I thought it was going to be difficult, but by doing one stroke at a time it goes pretty straight forward and looks really nice almost like shells ;-) And then after drawing "Dust bunny" I thought it all had a ocean feeling, so I added some blue background and draw white "Curls", and as a surprise they gave a coral appearance ;-) so much fun!!!
Thank you Adele, this was definitely a fun and beautiful challenge!Greetings from Canada!
Tangled Tidbits -
*a very creative sea-like scene - colors reflect the ocean feeling
*beautiful Betweed with highlighted curves and brown hues



From sra (India) ~
Here's my entry for the week. I saw the Dust Bunny as a telephone wire! Also, the shape made by the string was rather like a pot. This week in Many regions in India we are celebrating the harvest festival. One of the traditions is to cook a ritual rice and lentils dish in a pot and have it overflow to signify abundance. Isn't it such a coincidence?
I gave up on two other attempts before finding this one. Thanks for hosting! 
Tangled Tidbits - 
*more imaginative imagery - how fun!
*Tipple filled spaces around Betweed
*Curl overflows



From Susan Theron (Velddrif, South Africa) ~
This was a difficult one - trying to use the string and the patterns.
Tangled Tidbits -
*Curl string lines and filled spaces, shaded along the string line
*little peeks of Betweed and tight spirals of Dust Bunny


From Karin (Germany) ~
this is my entry to no. 179.
After eliminating the “dust bunnies” in my flat it was easy to tangle them
I hadn´t tangled “Betweed” for a long time and nearly forgot how much fun it brings.
Thank you for the refresher!Greetings from a snowy Germany!
Tangled Tidbits -
*two versions of Betweed with little black dots that echo in Curl
*Dust Bunny string line and one more "for good measure"



From Donna (Wisconsin) ~
Here it is, do you think it's a little too busy?


Tangled Tidbits -
*not at all "too busy" - looks like you enjoyed the tangles :)
*long lined Betweed around the border
*delightful details in the Betweed string line and Curl filled sections


From Marle (Germany) and the link to her blog ~
Challenge #179 was so much fun! This week the string was easier for me. Dust bunny and Curl were new tangles for me and I really like them, especially Curl. At last I decided to rotate it 90°.
Thank you so much for this Challenge and all the work you do for us.Greetings from Germany
Tangled Tidbits -
*thickened, sparkled string line
*curved Betweed corners
*petals added to Curl - pretty variation


From Lin H (Florida) ~
Hi, Adele! This was definitely a good challenge for me. Dust Bunnies and Curl we're both new to me. I'm anxious to see what others have come up with especially using these two patterns.
Tangled Tidbits -
*dots repeat in Curl and Dust Bunny
*sparkled, dark initial lines of Betweed


From Jane Glotzer (Boulder, Colorado) ~
Well...how very, very interesting! There definitely wasn't any pre-planned idea here...which is always a good thing...my process happened pretty organically...
I started with some paper I had previously watercolored (scan never does it justice, but this time I scanned it as a color photo instead of document and it seemed to work better)...loved your string because I am a swoopy, swirly gal...began with Betweed in the top left...a pattern I always love...but when someone else does it--:) I always have such trouble...then, I added the second section...that's when I got stumped...nothing seemed to work...tangles did not want to play together nicely in those spaces...tried a couple thoughts with Dust Bunny and Curl, but, no, not working...that's when I extended the lines of the corners of Betweed and suddenly had some kind of cool pods hanging in a swampy spot...wanted to totally accentuate those spirals in the string, so I aura-ed around and around, added a touch of shading and that was it...I loved it and nothing more was needed...how very, very interesting! :)
Tangled Tidbits -
*a glorious journey in tangling with very happy results
*multi-lined rays from the tips of Betweed give them a star-like appearance



From Jody Genovese, CZT (New York) ~
Here is my tile for 178. A bit of a rush job I’m afraid...
Tangled Tidbits -
*dark spaces around Betweed give added sense of depth
*Curl and Dust Bunny shaded around each stroke


From LezliB (Utah) and here on her blog ~
Adele, I have been observing your challenges and even doing some of them for at least a year now. I decided that this year, I was going to try some of the challenges and get with the program to spend more time with me this year. So here is my very first submission to your challenge and I hope it's not too late. I had used Betweed before, but hadn't used Dust Bunny or Curl before. I found that I had quite a time trying to use the string, but it really is in there, just hard to see. My camera isn't showing it up to it's best advantage either, but hopefully next time I can finish sooner so I can utilize the daylight for a better picture. Anyway, I hope to join many more of your challenges this year.
 Tangled Tidbits -
*shadowed shading and weighted lines for Curl
*elegant Betweed
Welcome, Lezli, we are happy to have you on the map!


From Sharon Fite (California) ~
What a fun string and tangles! Spirals always remind me of the inspiring work of Michele Beauchamp, CZT. So I added her tangle, Popsicles!
Tangled Tidbits -
*a wonderfully spiraled Betweed
*Curl and Dust Bunny grace either side of the middle tangles


From Jonesy (St. Louis, Missouri) ~
Here is my tile for the week. Both Curl, and Dust Bunny, were completely new to me, and quite different from my usual tangle choices. But I think they worked out for me. Thanks for the challenge.
Tangled Tidbits -
*Dust Bunny shaded only on the lower curves adds even more dimension
*shading of the sparkled black orbs of Curl makes them look like little beads on the paper
*beautiful Betweed


From Annie (Spain) ~
Hello Adele and a very happy new year to you and yours.
It's taken me a while to find time to rejoin the regular string thing challenge but here I am again - I didn't go away, I just didn't always make the deadlines.
It is always a pleasure to see the challenges and the entries. This week, I have not only managed to make the time to finish one tile - I've done two! Each tile asked to be rotated...and you have to let them make up their own minds, don't you? Here are my contributions this week. Thank you so much, as always, for keeping us entertained, challenged and in contact with each other.
 Tangled Tidbits -
Welcome back!
*a happy thought, and so very true, you must 'let them make up their own minds'
*Betweed filled Dust Bunny spiral
*super shading
*Curl tucked into Betweed
*weighted lines for Dust Bunny


From Lily Moon (Hungary) ~
Dear Adele, here is my tile for your weekly challenge.
Tangled Tidbits -
*shaded and penned tangles - how lovely!
*Betweed spiral with a Dust Bunny center


From Felicity Strohfeldt (South Africa) and here on her blog ~
...As always, a great challenge, an intriguing string and challenging old, favourite patterns. I decided to highlight Dust Bunny by Margaret Bremner. Dust balls under furnisher are rather mundane objects, so I have dollied Dust Bunny up. Good, they seem to be enjoying the experience of having a lacy highlighted edge. Flowers with Curl by Lu-Marie Laker as the curly foliage and Betweed by Maria and Rick might suggest some delicious succulents in the Magic Garden that is my tile 179. Also on my blog
Gosh, where did all that come from?
Looking forward to see the creative tiles of all the other participants.
Tangled Tidbits -
*a thoroughly enjoyable write-up to accompany a delightful grouping of tangles
*dark, sparkled lines repeat in all three tangles
*beautiful shading



From Robin Steinbeck (Painsville, Ohio) ~
First time using the 3 tangles!!

Tangled Tidbits -
*dark spaces highlight the tangles
*pleasing combination of small, medium, and larger tangles


From Joke Leussenkamp (Eibergen The Netherlands) ~
Its a Long Time ago since i participated in your challenge. But now travelling is over and also renovation of our house.
Finally I find myself tangling again, and it's still so wonderful to do.
I never draw bunny before but I liked it a lot. Betweed is like a good old friend, and I added some flux. Hope you like it!!!
Tangled Tidbits -
*wonderful shading
*three orientations for Betweed


And now...

the tiles for honors this week...

were sent in by...


Marla Mendenhall (California) ~
Well, I'm back finally - after a grueling holiday season during which I did everything that needed to be done and found little time to enjoy or relax - and just realized I've missed ten weeks of challenges; is that even possible? Hopefully I can get back on track now that things have settled a bit.
And what a fun challenge for which to return! Betweed has always been one of my favorite patterns, and while Dust Bunny and Curl are new to me, how great are they in which to lose oneself. And Adele, the string was so enchanting I just had to make it an element all its own in the second tile.
Happy New Year to all from rainy, rainy southern California.

 Tangled Tidbits -
*mesmerizing Dust Bunny spirals
*small and large columns of Betweed

 Tangled Tidbits -
*billowing Dust Bunny - each curve shaded
*doubled string line, weighted lines and shaded on either side
*pretty peaks of Betweed

Welcome back and congratulations, Marla!
I have a little some thing coming in the mail for you.

A huge thank you to all of the contributors to this week's challenge.
Please know that I appreciate and treasure your kindnesses and encouragements as well. 

Many thanks to  creative minds behind the tangles we used this week along with my string:

Betweed by Maria Thomas and Rick Roberts

Dust Bunny
 by Margaret Bremner, CZT


Curl by Lu-Marie Laker


Check back Tuesday afternoon for "It's a String Thing" #180!



















No comments:

Post a Comment