Monday, January 2, 2017

"It's a String Thing" #177 Tiles

Happy, Happy New Year!

This week's IAST was a nod to the passing year, which has dutifully passed and left us on the threshold of all the promises this new one brings.   Let's celebrate!

The first tile arrived from Lynn Gotham (Florida) and is featured on her new frame ~
Fun challenge Adele, thanks. My first try at Joki and I love it. Happy New Year to you and yours.
 Tangled Tidbits -
*highlights make the tangles glow
*Bublz inside Bublz


From Karin (Eindhoven, Holland) ~
I tried again since a long time. I had much fun!
Tangled Tidbits - 
Welcome back!
*Tipple filled spaces
*bursts of Ahh and Bublz used as a filler


From Robin Steinbeck (Painesville, Ohio) ~
Here is my entry for this week. Thank you such a warm welcome. The Zentangle Community is such a giving and kind group, I feel honored to be a part if it. This is my first time using #joki, it was fun!
Tangled Tidbits -
*Joki lined string lines
*white spaces compliment the tangle filled ones


From Shirley (Queensland, Australia) ~
Hello Adele! I loved working with these patterns, attached is my drawing for the ‘It’s A String Thing #177 Challenge ‘
Tangled Tidbits -
*Ahh turned Afterglo variation, beautifully shaded
*fanned Joki


From Simone Menzel, CZT (Germany) and here on her blog ~
what a nice string you created for the last IAST 2016!
And the tangles you chose allowed to create a cheerful firework ….
I had a lot of fun with it!


Tangled Tidbits -
*Bublz shaded along the intersecting lines give dimension
*long Joki fill the strings space


From Audrie Weisenfelder (Tucson, Arizona) and here on her Purple Butterfly ~
I didn't do last week's String Thing challenge; so I didn't have a chance to wish you a Merry Christmas. I hope it was wonderful. And here's wishing you and yours, and all the tanglers out there, a Healthy, Happy, Prosperous New Year; in which the worst day is no worse than the best day of this past year.
This was a wonderful challenge to end the year; I really enjoyed working on it. Fun tangles, and a great string to set them in.

Tangled Tidbits -
*little arrows tip Ahh
*Bublz tucked inside Bublz and billowing Joki



From Jody Genovese, CZT (New York) ~
So here is the final tile for 2016…what a year. Maybe we should have done a string shaped like a boot to kick this year to the curb :)…
Here’s to 2017! I hope you have a very Happy New Year. Stay healthy, happy and safe.
Tangled Tidbits -
*variation in size of Joki - soft shading and detail lines
*lightly penciled Bublz


From Amy Barnickel (Florida) ~
Ugh...thinking about getting back to work next week. Wish I could live in this playful, magical, fairy world a little while longer...so long, 2016!
Tangled Tidbits -
*Bublz filled string loop with penned highlights
*towering Joki with Tipple and detail lines


From Lisette (Switzerland) ~
Happy New Tangle Year to everybody!
Thank you for this new challenge, Adele. Bublz was new to me and I struggled a bit… I’m looking forward to what you all have created with these three patterns. It’s every week a surprize and so much fun. Many thanks to all of you for giving your precious time to IAST and sharing these beautiful tiles.
With my best wishes for 2017
Tangled Tidbits -
*mirrored Joki and a touch of free floating ones
*lovely colorization of Bublz and fun accents for Ahh


From Felicity Strohfeldt (South Africa) and here on her blog ~
Surely this must be a first for me! Sending my effort on Friday! Shows what can happen, if one is at home and on holiday.
May I also take this opportunity to wish you and your family everything of the best for 2017! Let us all pray that the new year brings peace and love among all humanity.
It is the time to realize that we, humans need to collectively take hands to work urgently towards a world that becomes filled with peace, goodwill and the understanding that every human-being deserves a safe and tranquil space on Earth.
Thank you, Adele, for making 2016 a special place for all the tanglers, who participate in your weekly challenges. Thank you for making each week special with your additional words of wisdom and insights into what makes your life tranquil and special.
Tile 177 was so special. Great string. Pattern Joki by Kim Aarts is a definite visit-again pattern, Ahh by Rick and Maria is an old favourite and Bublz by Lori Byerly fitted like a glove. 2016 has been a year-and-half, hasn’t it? To me this week’s string signifies the passing year, Bublz bubbled up like champagne bringing new hope for the future, Joki is a lush, rich pattern signifying all the splendid celebrations that herald in the new year and Ahh (not fireworks –I’m anxious for my frightened pets and those of others at 24:00), but rather Ahh represent the beautiful universe and a new Future. May 2017 be a year of peace, happiness and goodwill for you, all the IAST friends and all mankind.
Happy New Year!!
 Tangled Tidbits -
*happy tangles to match happy thoughts!
*wonderful details for Ahh, Joki used as a filler and along the string lines


From Jutta Gladnigg (North-Rhine Westphalia, Germany) ~
To Adele and all participants - a Happy New Year!
Tangled Tidbits - 
*one large Ahh with a filled center, shaded along the otter edge
*large and lovely Joki


From Karin (Germany) ~
here comes my last tile for this year.
Thank you for another great challenge. It was really fun to tangle “Joki”.
A happy an healthy new year to you and your family and of course to all the other members of this great community.
Greetings from Germany
 Tangled Tidbits -
*bubbly Bublz string lines
*large Joki filled string sections accented with Tipple and shading



From Renee (Tennessee) ~
Tangled Tidbits -
*warm gray shading against black filled spaces around Joki
*Ahh filled Bublz!


From Trudi (Woodview, Ontario, Canada) ~
Happy new year Adele and thanks for all your hard work this past year with the challenges. I'm finally home and looking forward to just resuming my regular life :).


Tangled Tidbits - 
*Joki shaded along one long edge accented with aura and Tipple
*alternating light and dark filled string spaces



A very warm welcome to Barbara Steyer (NRW, Germany) ~
this is my very first attempt with your wonderful blog. Found a note on the Zentangle mosaic-app. What a great work you do. Keep it running....
During my holidays in the Netherlands, I had so much time to tangle and this one is a result:
Tangled Tidbits - 
*delightful detail lines and dots for Ahh 
*Joki wraps around the doubled string line
Barbara and her red pin are now on our map ~
Welcome!


From Hilary Merola (Chicago) ~
First of all —best wishes for the new year. I hope you have more than enough health and happiness!
Here's my drawing for this week's challenge. I loved doing Joki. I filled two sketchbook pages with it in various sizes, usually with leaves sprouting out the sides. Bublz is a lost cause for me, so my little circles are not attached to one another. And since I was in a curlicue mood, I curled the lines of Ahh.

Tangled Tidbits - 
*flowing curlicue lines repeat in Ahh and Joki
*open curls of Joki



From Lori Byerly (Washington) the creator of Bublz - applause, applause! - and here on her blog ~
Adele, thanks so much for all you do, all year long. You bless the Zentangle community by giving up a place to "meet" and create. I love looking at the collection of tiles each week. They inspire me and teach me so much.
Here's my tile for this week. Thanks also for using one of my patterns.

Tangled Tidbits - 
*adorable Ahh center of Joki
*beautiful Bublz (of course:)



From sra (India) ~
A very happy new year to you!
Here's my submission for IAST. The other two photos are digitally altered versions of a piece of Zentangle I've done as my New Year Greeting for the social media world. I hope you'll recognize your O tangle and Tira which you included in a recent challenge. There's Ahh too! And another one I don't know the name of.

Tangled Tidbits -
*mirrored Joki
*string line tipped with Ahh

I couldn't resist posting the other pieces sra mentioned in her note above.  They are wonderful celebrations of the New Year and I appreciate seeing O in them ♥




From Gabriela Garcia (Alberta, Canada) ~
Hello there, I hope everyone had a beautiful Christmas and I wish you all a 2017 full of blessings!
I really enjoyed playing with Yoki which was a new pattern for me, it is so organic and flows so nice, I loved it! I normally don't use much black, my son gave me at Christmas a set of metallic pens and I am learning and having fun with them :-)
Thank you Adele for this year's challenges bringing us all together learning from each other and having fun. My best wishes for this next year for you and all your family !
Greetings from Canada and Happy New Year!
Tangled Tidbits - 
*gorgeous shades of silver and gold
*dark, 'starry' background


From Ingrid (The Netherlands) ~
Happy New Year to you all!!
In the attachment my tile # 177.
My tile is light, airy, and bubbly. Cheers to the New Year with a lot of creativity, much prosperity and most important of all: a good Health.
What a lovely tangle Joki is to play with.

Tangled Tidbits - 
*pretty bubbly tangles with dotted accents for Joki
*black filled spaces around Bublz clusters lends a sense of lightness to the floating tangles above



From Lin H (Florida) and featured on her Tickled to Tangle frame ~
Happy New Year, Adele! Here's to another fun year of tangling. Thanks for continuing to put these challenges together. I've learned a lot from others that participate and am always inspired by their work. Thanks for your challenge #177. I lost most of the string with Bubblz and Ahh but Joki hung in there for part of it anyway. Hope you've enjoyed the holidays!
Tangled Tidbits - 
*darkened string line with mirrored Joki and Tipple turned Bublz - great energy!
*softly shaded bursts of Ahh

A very warm welcome to Tonya Blankenship (Grundy, Virginia) ~
My name is Tonya Blankenship (Grundy, Virginia) and I'm a noobie to your site (it's so much fun, btw). I've attached the tangle I completed for the current challenge. I apologize for my late submission, and completely understand if it's too late to post. Either way, I really look forward to participating in future challenges!
Happy New Year!
 Tangled Tidbits -
*pretty sparkled aura for Ahh
*crisp lines and flowing tangles
And Tonya's name and pin are added to our map, welcome!
As it turns out, there are two Tonya's on the map now.  Tonya Barlow's name is just to the right.


From Sharyn Penna (Massachusetts) and her tile is the third this week to be featured on a TTT frame.  YAY! ~
For IAST #177 you chose a fun combination of tangles to wring out the old and ring in the new years.
Cheers to your creative genius and cheers to a safe, healthy, kind, gentle, and happy new year to all!
Tangled Tidbits - 
*festive star bursts of Ahh mixed with Joki
*beautiful shading


From Donna (Wisconsin) ~
Tangled Tidbits - 
*double lined strings and fabulously detailed tangles
*alternating light, dark, and shaded spaces


From Aloyna Pakhomova (Toronto, Canada) ~
Happy New Year! And my last tile from last year.
Tangled Tidbits - 
*Ahh filled Bublz
*Joki lines mimic Bublz as they intersect - how fun!



This is my tile ~
I kept this very light and airy, tangling Joki along the string lines and shading either side.  Ahh and Bublz are two favorites of mine.  After adding just a smattering of each, I decided it looked complete.  Happy New Year!


And now...

the tile for honors this week...

was sent in by...

Henrike Bratz from Germany!    She wrote ~
...this first week of the New Year was the opportunity to start again. Joki is so much fun! I really enjoyed it, but the other patterns as well. I think the tile came out very light, playful, joyful and full of movement. I wouldn’t mind if 2017 was to become like this.

Tangled Tidbits - 
*shared details with Aloyna's tile above - where Joki and Bublz overlap and the string is turned 45 degrees -  even more fun!
*weighted lines for Joki
*just a touch of black spaces
*Joki shaded where the curved lines meet
*Joki hugs the string lines, dips over them in a few playful places, and is doubled on the center one

Congratulations, Henrike!

I have a little something coming in the mail for you.


Thank you for all the New Year best wishes.  From myself and my family, I wish you all the very best in the coming year - joy, peace, and an abundance of love.

Thank you too, for sending in your beautiful tiles for all of us to appreciate and learn from.

A special thank you to the creative minds behind the tangles used with my string this week:

Joki by Kim Aarts    

Ahh by Rick Roberts and Maria Thomas

Bublz by Lori Byerly

Check back Tuesday afternoon for "It's a String Thing" #178!






3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the round-up, Adele! And for including both the greetings here. I enjoyed the post on ZenAgain and the Happy New Year post. - Sra

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sending them in and Happy New Year to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't is wonderful to see what you started. Thank you for such a lovely tangle.

    ReplyDelete