Tuesday, December 13, 2016

"It's a String Thing" #174 Tiles

The challenge this week began with a tree-like string and two totally happy tangles:  Maria Thomas' Zenith and my 'O'.

You may find yourself humming the carol "O Christmas Tree" as you take in all of the beauty below.

Let's take a look ~


The first tile arrived from Lori Byerly (Washington State) and here on her blog ~
Thanks, Adele, for another fun Christmas challenge. :)We finally got snow up here in Washington. We will have a white Christmas after all. So, of course, I needed a little snow with my tangled tree as well.
Tangled Tidbits -
...and this is the only snow I'll get in Florida, so thank you :)
*black sparkled perfs tip Zenith and the tree
*shading of Zenith brings out the white spaces of the tangle variation


From Renee (Tennessee) ~

Tangled Tidbits - 
*double Zenith garland
*one large O with repeating details from Zenith


From Joan Delony (Florida) ~

Tangled Tidbits -
*festive Zenith variation, aura-ed and shaded for depth
*O tops the tree and sparkles between Zenith rows



From Shirley Wohlsen (Queensland, Australia) ~
My tree is no ‘Engelmann Spruce’ but I did have fun drawing it with the lovely patterns you supplied, Thanks Adele.

Tangled Tidbits - 
*sparkled Christmas red perfs fill O - even on the tree top
*rows of multicolored Zenith, aura-ed and shaded



From Montse (Madrid, Spain) ~
I'm sending you the tile this week. A lot of fun with the tangle O and my new felt-tip pens ... Fantastic tiles on the blog every week: there is a lot of art here! Hugs.

Tangled Tidbits - 
*tangles fill the area around the string accenting the white space inside the string lines
*a colorful rainbow of O, so much detail!


From Ilse Lukken (The Netherlands) and here on her blog ~
Thank you for giving me this surprising festive challenge :-)
Tangled Tidbits - 
*Zenith lines the string, frames the black center
*varied sizes of O shaded on the inside 



From Beth Gaughan (North Carolina) ~
Thank you for the virtual tour of your lovely home! It was so nice of you to share the weekend with those of us who couldn't be there in person.I had foot surgery yesterday, so here is my tile drawn under the influence of pain medication. Instead of a Christmas theme, I believe it looks like a Celtic theme. I realized halfway through that I drew Zenith incorrectly, but I actually like how it turned out.
Tangled Tidbits - 
My heart goes out to you for your surgery - have a speedy recovery!
*double lines of Zenith
*large arcs suggest the circles of O


From Gabriela Garcia (Alberta, Canada) ~
Hi Adele! This was such a fun combination of string and patterns...very festive!! :-) it was my first time using Zenith and found it at the beginning a little bit tricky but once I got the hang of it I started having fun with it changing the lengths in the triangles and/or circles and creating all sort of very interesting results. At the end I chose this one that reminded me of little elfs in stockings, although my son said they look like Santas with a moustache :-)
At the beginning I shaded all with graphite but then my son insisted I colour the tree green ... So since we couldn't agree in which one was better I decided to send both pictures :-)
Merry Christmas to everyone!
Cheers from Canada
 Tangled Tidbits -
*absolutely darling Zenith elves tipped with O
*twinkling O's dangle from swirls
*addition of green spotlights those clever little elves



From Lynn Gotham (Palm Coast, Florida) ~
Thank you for another interesting challenge. Thought I would just keep it simple. Love your O tangle and your frame.
Tangled Tidbits - 
Thank you Lynn - so happy you enjoy the frame.
*creative square O in the base of the tree and triangular O at the top
*a Zenith cross 


A very warm welcome to Gara Hudson (Florida) ~
After a year enjoying everyone's contributions week after week I finally decided to submit one..... the berries tried to get away there at the end but I was able to contain them(:-)
It's mounted on one of Adele's beautiful frames, which I love!
Tangled Tidbits - 
Hat's off to a first - two frames in a row, thank you Lynn and Gara.
*red 'berries' on Zenith
*lovely O - varied sizes, colors, sparkle, and shading
And now, I am happy to say that Gara (one of the nicest people in the world) is on our map!



From Karin (Germany) ~
this is my entry to challenge no. 174.
I am glad that I have enough time this weekend to participate again.
Wish you a contemplative Advent season!
Greetings from Germany
 Tangled Tidbits -
...a contemplative Advent - a peaceful thought, thank you.
*rows of aura-ed Zenith
*hanging O
Is that Sand I see?!



From Ingrid (The Netherlands) ~
I enjoyed very much the virtual tour of your home. Thank you for your hospitality. It must have been great days for you with so many dear friends, family and visitors around the house.
In the attachment my tile # 174 for this week. I made a very traditional approach on this challenge. I'm curious to see what others have done.
 Tangled Tidbits -
*the white, solid centers of O layer the tangle in the foreground like snow
*Zenith garland with detail lines sparkling the orbs



From Val Steele (Johannesburg, South Africa) ~
Happy holidays Adele.
Thanks for the Christmas tree challenge.
Here's my "O" and Zenith Tree.
Tangled Tidbits -
*Zenith defines the tree and O fills it up
*simple version of Zenith along the border





From Val Barsevich (Tucson, Arizona) ~
Here is my "practice" tree in my notebook, but I didn't have a chance to do more than this....so here goes!
Thanks for the inspiration from all the creative tanglers!


Tangled Tidbits -
*shaded string lines, Zenith garland, and pretty puffs of O
*Florz background


From Audrie Wiesenfelder (Tucson, Arizona) and here on her Purple Butterfly ~
As often is the case, I ended up with more than 1 tile for this challenge. At first I wasn't sure how (or even if) I was going to use O. I ended up up using it in all 3 versions after all. But I really couldn't decide between them. So I'm sending them all:
Just realized that I didn't sign the last one, but that's OK.
The whole shebang is on my blog
 Tangled Tidbits -
Shebang is such great word - haven't heard it for a long time!  Thank you for the smiles.
*scalloped lower edge created with Zenith
*weighted lines
 *detail lines and shading accent Zenith
*O accents the string lines
*similar 'tree' has a very different look when O floats away


From Jody Genovese, CZT (New York) ~
Thank you for sharing the pictures of your tour. It looked amazing and this was the next best thing to being there.
Attached is my tile for 174, out of my comfort zone with the color, but really had fun. 

Tangled Tidbits -
If those are wine charms, I'll be over for a toast :)
*spectacular O filled tree with a Zenith garland
*star tipped Zenith orbs - with added arua
*lovely shades of green and colorful details


From Michele Wynne (Washington State) and here on her blog ~
Thanks so much for this lovely challenge. This ended up very different from what I intended. O seemed to demand solo status on the tree:-) I really enjoyed drawing this. I've decided to make my Christmas tags just like this:-)Thanks for all you do and wishing you and your family the happiest of holidays.



Tangled Tidbits -
This will make beautiful gift tags.
*white O features Tipple, blue shading, highlights
*pretty Zenith border - string's 'trunk' is filled with aura from Zenith



From Katrina Handson (Florida) ~
This weeks tangle was a great way to start break after finals week. I love Christmas! I like how the tangle O can be used to make doily like patterns :) :) and the other tangle zenith was so pretty and easy its one of my new favorites. it was also nice to get to use my gold marker again :D
Tangled Tidbits -
*O doilies - so sweet
*Zenith garland tipped with multi-colored O


From Felicity Strohfeldt (South Africa) and here on her blog ~
Hope you have had a peaceful week after all the art tour activities. You have a beautiful home. All looks so cosy and peaceful. Loved all the intimate corners and cherished artworks. Lovely to participate in such a venture with the help of a loving family and dear friends. Sure it made you glow with happiness and a sense of achievement.
I made the challenge relatively on time this week. I looked at the string and obviously thought, “What again this year?” Then. “How do I do it, only with Zenith and O by Maria Thomas and you?
My method is to look at the challenge on Wednesday and only get to trying the challenge at the earliest Saturday, but mostly on Sunday, when activity comes to a bit of a standstill here. Unconsciously, the challenge rattles about in my head and when I sit down whatever has stuck comes out. Zenith and O did it!
So once more I’ve enjoyed the challenge this week. Used a bit of gold again this time, but it doesn’t really show up on the computer. Will probably turn this tile into my electronic Christmas card to send to people who have contact with the museum that I run.

Tangled Tidbits -
This is a glorious Christmas card idea.
*candles spring from Zenith
*shaded aura for Zenith
*O details repeat in the candle glow and tree base



From Martina (Austria) ~
Hi Adele, Hi everybody!
The pattern Zenith is not mine ;-)) ..... here is my creation.
Greetings again from Austria ;-)
Tangled Tidbits -
*overlapping lines of Zenith
*lovely golden O



And now...

the tile for honors this week...

was sent in by...
Miriam G of Port Hueneme, California!

Miriam wrote:
Loved this string. I have been 'tangling' all my gift tags, so this fit right into the scheme of things this week - thank you! And have a wonderful holiday!
 
Tangled Tidbits -
*O filled string spaces - varied sizes, deep shading
*Zenith travels along two border lines and wraps around the O filled tree
*red perfs repeat in both tangles
*O wreath complete with sparkled red perfs and tidy ribbon



Congratulations Miriam!

I have a little something coming in the mail for you.

A huge thank you to all of the contributors to this week's festive challenge.
I am even more inspired for the holidays now and I hope you are too.Please know that I appreciate and treasure your kindnesses and encouragements as well. 

Many thanks to Maria Thomas Zenith, the pattern we used this week along with my string and O tangle.


Check back Tuesday afternoon for "It's a String Thing" #175!









No comments:

Post a Comment