Monday, November 2, 2015

"It's a String Thing" #116 Tiles


My goodness, it is November already!
Just before we put the Halloween decorations away, let's take a look at this week's tiles.
The "Cannie Corns" shaped string made for great fun tangling ~

The first tile arrived from Sara (Western Australia) ~
Happy halloween! Thanks for a fun challenge. I used Cadent and a modified version of Chartz.
Tangled Tidbits -
*outlined and shaded strings
*individually shaded orbs of Chartz

From Sandra (Germany) ~
thanks for this nice challenge :-) I only knew Cadent before so I tried the other three patterns out :-) I really liked Confettus, what an easy and wonderful pattern!
In my blog my tile is here 
Tangled Tidbits - 
*lovely waves of Confettus
*string lines blend into the center of Cracked



From Sarah (Michigan) ~
This was not a easy string for me but I tried to keep it interesting. I'll get back to shading eventually but I like my Sakura pens right now. And color and sparkle. Somethings I need the extra inspiration to get me going like a cup of coffee.
Tangled Tidbits - 
*white tangles highlighted on the colorful background
*striped Cadent


From Bhamathi (Bangalore, India) and on her blog ~
Tangled Tidbits - 
*elegant shading
*lovely curves of Confettus


A very warm welcome to Wanda Amarose (Chesapeake, Virginia) ~
This is my first attempt at an actual tangle. Oh what fun! Hoping to follow with many more, with marked improvement. In the spirit of Halloween , I've included a few spooky eyes!!! Happy Halloween to all!!
Tangled Tidbits -
*a wonderful first tile - welcome!
*co-mingling of the tangles in the string sections


From Lily Moon (Hungary) with "Zenhugs" ~
Tangled Tidbits -
*beautiful, beautiful variation of Cadent
*Cracked filled Cadent


From Anita A Westin (Sweden) ~
Cracked took over the scenery! When I was a teenager this pattern was something I used in many ways. Op-art was the thing in early 60:ies and that pattern was in/on everything! I had it on my clothes, on the sheet in my bed, I draw it a lot. Actually in some of my first art-work, that I showed in an exhibition when I was 18, had this pattern in it! I don´t have those drawing any more and no pics of them, but I loved to do this and get back to younger days in my memory! Thank you for a great challenge Adele! I had so much fun doing this!
Tangled Tidbits - 
*what wonderful memories - and how wonderful that the pattern lives on today!
*two sizes of Cadent


From Juul (France) ~
Tangled Tidbits - 
*aura-ed Confettus
*Cadent background and beautiful shading


From Beverly Gotthardt (Texas) ~
Love this Candy Corn String. The tangles you picked fell in to place very nicely for me this week. I usually struggle with Cadent, but it seemed to come out of the pen better for me this time. Here is my link.
Tangled Tidbits - 
*pretty Confettus border
*dark squares for the grid of Cadent


From Sharyn Penna (Massachusetts) ~
Happy Halloween week!
Your mono tangle of Sampson is something to behold. Just stunning! Thank you for sharing a sample that offers guidance to creating the tangle.
Guidance came through for this week's prompt too. I haven't played with Cadent in a while, so I reviewed Margaret Bremner's tutorial, Cadent And Then Some. I love the way she shows the very basic elements of Cadent and turns it into a framework.
I first tangled a similar frame and then drew the string in the center of the tile. I carried Beadline into Chartz and the tile finished itself
Thanks for this week's spooktacular prompt and thanks to Margaret for a tremendous tutorial I go back to again and again.
 Tangled Tidbits -
Margaret Bremner's amazing post on Cadent can be found here - thank you Sharyn for the reference
*Cadent/Confettus combination border
*Confettu/Chartz tangleation



From The Creative Miss L (Canberra, Australia) ~
I enjoyed your challenge again this week. Once again I’ve learnt a new tangle and used a string that I haven’t used before. I even tried my first piece of Candy Corn today. It was not what I expected!
[Here] is a link to my blog post about this challenge.

 Tangled Tidbits -
*waves of Confettus
*tangles change as the string sections intersect


From Ragged Ray (United Kingdom) ~
...to the latest challenge - I kept it simple - using Confettus to make a couple of string loops and them filling the largest space with a version of Cadent filled with the diagonals from Chartz. Thanks for the Cadent reminder - one of those that is so calming to draw, the repetition of those strokes a reminder of how meditative Zentangle can be.
Tangled Tidbits -
*Chartz/Cadent tangleation
*shaded string lines of Confettus


From Cathy Cusson ~
I will draw it, but don’t ask me to eat it! LOL! Seriously I had lots of fun with this challenge, but i have never cared for the candy.


Tangled Tidbits - 
*layers of tangles in each of the string sections
*candy corn colors


From Beth Gaughan (North Carolina) ~
Congratulations on your beautiful new pattern, SAND! I look forward to drawing it. Meanwhile here is my "candy corn" tile. Happy Halloween!
Tangled Tidbits - 
*two variations of Cadent
*Confettus border


From CZT Lucy Banta (New Jersey) ~
Love the candy corn theme! Happy Halloween to you. My tile is attached and here's a link to my blog.
Tangled Tidbits - 
*Confettus string lines
*superb shading


From Sue Agnew (Tucson, Arizona) ~
... I can see a few things I wish I'd done differently but I guess perfectionism is the enemy of the flow. I usually like my tile better the next day anyhow.
Ever since I found about the Cadent/Afterglow mashup (my printout doesn't give the name of who invented it) I haven't been able to do Cadent without adding Afterglow. So here it is. Chartz started reminding me of Inapod, so I did it a la Inapod. The other two have possibilities that I didn't fully plumb.
Thank you -- happy Halloween!
Tangled Tidbits - 
*Cadent/Afterglow tangleation is beautiful - a "Sue sparkled" at that!
*waves of Confettus fill a string section


From Heidi Sue (Utah) ~
When I saw the challenge for this week, I never dreamed I would have so much fun with it.
Halloween was all OVER at work today. Costumes and mini candy bars everywhere, and so many cubicles decorated as creepy as can be. Well, that's where I was when I started this challenge, and I'm sure it influenced me. I started with Chartz and ended up with these eyeball looking things, so I ran with the eye theme. They're all over the place! The Jack o Lanterns simply had to be part of it. I also love the goofy, funky Cracked for this. What fun!
A Halloween color scheme...
And at the very end I did a border of confettus. Unfortunately, Cadent didn't fit in anywhere...well, maybe it's because i was so enjoying making Chartz every which way but loose, I ran out of room! ha! Yup, this was one of the most fun pieces I've ever done. Enjoyed every minute! This will be on my cubicle wall tomorrow at work, just to spiff up my work place for the day.
thanks for a way fun challenge!

Tangled Tidbits - 
*this is a fun to look at as it is to read about! - colorful and playful
*Halloween themed Chartz


A very warm welcome to Sabine (Germany) ~
This is my entry for It's a string thing #116. The patterns I used are Confettus, Crescent Moon, Cat-Kin, Coil and Cool 'Sista
I'm pretty new to tangling, so most of the patterns I used for this I hadn't used before. Both Coil and Cat-Kin were difficult to get right but I'm mostly happy with how they turned out and I'm sure that I'll use them in the future. I also usually stick to less complicated-looking strings, this one was really intimidating at first!
I decided on using Cat-Kin, Cool 'Sista, and Coil pretty quickly but I was completely stuck after that and just couldn't decide on what else to use. I picked Crescent Moon almost out of frustration because it was a pattern I knew and I wanted to finish the tangle. And suddenly I had this nice white spaces and it was really easy to finish the tangle after that. It came out completely different than I expected and that was a great experience. So, thank you very much for this nice challenge.
I also might need to try out candy corn now if I can find it anywhere ;)

Tangled Tidbits - 
*a wonderful mix of tangles
*super shading


From Joanne Faherty (United Kingdom) ~
Here's my its a string thing entry this week with a little mistake I mixed up Huggins and cadent oops. These shapes remind me of guitar plectrums', we don't have those candy corn sweets here in the UK what do they taste of?.
(It is a very sweet marshmallow flavor - very delicious!)

Tangled Tidbits - 
*wonderful contrast of dark and light spaces
*shadowed Confettus


From Karin (Germany) ~
“Happy Halloween” to you!
I hope you celebrate it and you get candy corn in many different flavours!
I didn´t know candy corn before but they look quite delicious

This is my entry to challenge 116. I really had fun both with the string and with the patterns you choose! Thank you for the great work every week!
 Tangled Tidbits -
*swirl filled Cadent
*string line as white space between tangles


From Deb Jacob (Eau Claire, Wisconsin) ~
Good morning Adele, thank you for the fun challenge. I' m not an over achiever, but 2 tiles were just itching to unfold. The first in black & white, the second in color. Happy Halloween!

Tangled Tidbits -
*what a "treat" to view in black and white and color with different tangle combinations
*lovely shading


From Susan Theron (South Africa) ~
My contribution. I've originally only used the string, but then the candy corn looked so lonely, that I had to add Confettus and now I like it more! Also on my blog 
Tangled Tidbits -
*little petals added to Confettus
*detail lines in Cadent and Chartz


From Becky Welty (North Carolina) ~

Tangled Tidbits -
*Cadent background
*Cracked flows through the string lines


From CZT midori (Florida) ~
unlike all my previous submissions, i decided to capture this image 'outside*' at my deck...this is a first. *it is more pleasant now.* this has been a wonderful venue for me to discover, to practice new tangles (chartz, cracked, confettus), and to a revisit the familiar (cadent). oh my the strings!
Tangled Tidbits -
*Chartz and Cracked morph beautifully
*lovely flow of Confettus and Cadent



From Jane (Colorado) ~
Happy Halloween! Wishes for a sweet, spooky day! :)
Here is my "candy corn" entry, although I stayed away from anything resembling candy corn...
Only used two of the suggested tangles, Cracked and Cadent, but they are two great ones...
Kept it pretty basic...looked at last year's candy corn challenge, too, which was interesting to compare...and I like this year's better! Used crosshatching to fill in some Cadent and just lines to fill in some areas that I wanted dark, but not completely blackened, and I like that effect.
Looking forward to playing with your Sand--:)
Tangled Tidbits -
*lovely balance of fine line, black, white, shaded, and lined spaces
*two variations of Cadent


From Ingrid (The Netherlands) ~
My tile ST#116 has become a weird and busy one. But ok, it's Halloween, so a lot of weird and busy things are to be seen everywhere around. My tile is one of them haha.

Hope you had a spooky but Happy Halloween!
Tangled Tidbits -
*gorgeous curves of Cadent
*Cracked string sections with ample white space



From Jennifer Sparrow (North Carolina) ~
Candy Corn!!! You are so creative! I enjoyed this week's string thing. With lots going on at home, it was a quicky! I've also posted on my blog.
Thanks for all that you do to enrich our community!
Tangled Tidbits - 
*alternating colors for Cadent
*soft shading


From Linda Gonclaves (Pennsylvania) ~
I enjoyed working with all four and love Sand. I wish I had had more
time this week to work with the string.
Tangled Tidbits -
*a Sand backdrop!
*aura-ed Confettus dots - nice frame too :)


From Sally Sheldon (Massachusetts) ~
When this challenge was finished it was all about the candy corn, the v shape and of course some orange for Halloween. What fun! Thank you.
Tangled Tidbits ~
*Chartz corners
*v shapes for Confettus


From Elspeth (Wyoming) ~
I had fun with this challenge. First, traditionally black ink and
watching the string disappear. Then I maintained the string and added
color. I really do like candy corn! All but Cadent were new tangles
for me.

Tangled Tidbits -
*great "watching the string disappear" observation
*candy corn colors


From Sidney Kapinos (Virginia) ~
It's been a little while, but I'm back with my tile for this week's "It's A String Thing" challenge.
Please include a link to my blog post:
This was another fun challenge and I appreciate the candy corn theme for Halloween. Thank you Adele, and I look forward to seeing the results!
Tangled Tidbits - 
*striped Cadent
*Confettus filled string section
Welcome back!

From Jessie Plouffe (Connecticut) ~
Here is my tile for this week's challenge. The string was a perfect
fit for this week. I chose to make this tile as a traditional
Zentangle by splitting up the sections of the string.
Tangled Tidbits - 
*glorious Cadent with multiple swirls
*Confettus  string lines


From Marla Mendenhall (California) ~

Oh my.
When I first saw the string, I thought how fun. When I saw the patterns I thought ... a series of expletives deleted. As my husband Bill would say (he who has his own language: Billbonics) my brain became appleplexed, befrazzled and discombobilated. Out of the half dozen or so tiles I traumatized with my my pen, I'm submitting two, and the second one only because my husband liked it. (In the first one, I applied the concept only of Cracked to Cadent where it transitioned from one section to another. The actuality of Cracked applies to the resulting condition of my synapses and optic nerves ...)
I can't wait to see how others fared with this challenge!

Tangled Tidbits - 
*yummy tiles  - Cadent moves from white to black
*Cadent in the tangles in tile one, in the background of tile two



From Jenny Hopkins (Australia) ~
Candy corn! That's a new one for me. I love your explanations of the things that inspire each week's challenge but, like Hershey Kisses, I can only imagine what candy corn must be like. Halloween is not widely celebrated here although the retailers do try to encourage it.

My Zentangle has ended up rather frantic this week. I love Cadent. It is one of those tangles that look so much more difficult than it really is.

Congratulations on Sand. I'm looking forward to trying it out.
Tangled Tidbits -
*wonderful Cadent background
*alternating string sections of Chartz, Confettus, and Cracked



From Karina (Perth, Australia) ~
You have thrown us another interesting string this week, which after lots of thought I quite enjoyed. It's not quite what was in my mind, but I'm happy with the results. Karina, Perth.
Tangled Tidbits -
*a great study of Cadent
*alternating light and dark versions as the string lines intersect



From Felicity Strohfeldt (South Africa) ~
Congrats with lovely Sand created by yourself. Sure we’ll be seeing it shortly in a challenge. Can’t wait.
... to Halloween tangles and challenge 116. I enjoyed the geometrical patterns Chartz and Cracked for once and they work well together, Confettus landed in an orbit shaping and flowing between the different parts of the string. Cadent became a perfect grid to float the other shapes on. Thanks to Sandy Hunt for String 95 and Maria Thomas, Lori Howe and Angie Shade. All in all I’m happy with the result. On my blog
Tangled Tidbits - 
*gorgeous shading of Cadent
*two versions of Chartz


A very warm welcome to Simone Sass (Germany) ~
this is the first time I praticipate on "It's a String Thing". I had to struggle and it really challanged me. It was great!
I like the cadent pattern very much, I didn't know confettus and cracked so far, but the challenge for me was the definitely the string.
But one stroke at a time I figuered it out and in the end the tile looks different to the other tiles I tangled so far, but that's why I like it.
It shows me a different side of my options and abilities. So thank you for that great challenge. I will defintitly stick to it and I am looking forward to the next one.
So here is my tile, which you can also view on my blog
 Tangled Tidbits -
*fabulous fall coloring
*three tangleations of Cadent



From Elisa (Paris, France) ~
Please find attached my Candy Corn day. I really loved that string and had a great time drawing the tangles. Cadent was already a favorite, that's why I used it for the background. Cracked is about to also join my list of "go to" tangles. As for Chatrz, not being sure of what the original tangle is supposed to look like, I had fun with two variations I found on the internet.
Happy Halloween !
Tangled Tidbits -
*Cadent background - notice the detail!
*pleasing balance of dark and light spaces/tangles



From smgg (Taiwan) ~
Tangled Tidbits -
*Confettus string lines
*great use of white space


And now, the tile for honors this week was sent in by
Toby of Chicago, Illinois!


This is her first submission and she wrote ~
This is my first time sending in a tile to this challenge, although I've been following along for a little while. As soon as I saw the string, I saw the shape in the upper left as a piece of candy corn. And once I'd drawn one, I found that they're as addictive on paper as they are in real life-you can never have just one!

Tangled Tidbits -
*three different tangles for three sections of the string line
*sparkled Cadent circles
*wispy Confettus
*pops of color with Candy Corn pieces

AND Toby is correct, it is impossible to stop once you start eating Candy Corn :)

Congratulations, Toby!  I have a little something coming in the mail to you.


Thank you for the enthusiastic welcome for my new tangle, Sand.  We will visit it tomorrow!

Special thanks to the creative minds behind the string and patterns used this week:

TanglePatterns String 095 by Sandra Hart
Chartz and
Cadent both by Maria Thomas, Zentangle® co-founder
Cracked by Lori Howe
Confettus by Angie Shade


Stop back Tuesday afternoon for "It's a String Thing" #117 - we will play in the Sand :)






No comments:

Post a Comment