Monday, July 20, 2015

"It's a String Thing" #101 Tiles

On our way to the next one hundred challenges, we began with a string line comprised of three long curves and two tangles with nods to sixtieth birthdays.  Limited choices, limitless possibilities. Let's take a look ~

The first tile arrived from Sabrina (Finland) ~
After completing my first entry for your number 100, I waited impatiently for the number 101. In Finland it is 2 am and I just finished my tile. I am not sure if it's my best work, but it makes me happy. All the best to your husband and thank you for having this amazing challenge.
Tangled Tidbits -
*heart shaped Rixty
*Rixty weaves in and out of LG
*a single Rixty loop


From Tina Kirchhübel (Germany) ~
this week I was really waiting for your post and the new string. Then, when I read it, I was first thinking:" So many spaces and only two patterns?!" But suddenly, I had an idea how to work it. That's my tile for this week's challenge and this time I really love the result.
Thank you for this wonderful pattern LG and many Greetings from Germany
Tangled Tidbits - 
*fabulous darkened spaces behind LG
*LG shaded on one side give great depth
*three shapes for Rixty!


A very warm welcome to Denise Jones (Florida) who with her two sons, attended my class when it was filmed.  You can spot them in the video! ~
Here's my attempt at your challenge. I've done all challenges since your class but haven't felt brave enough to turn one in. I chose to not shade this one and I'm not sure why? Just felt right. Also...late congrats on your zentennial string and new frame! 
Tangled Tidbits - 
*black border features two versions of Rixty along a gentle curve
*a Rixty heart!
*wonderful Rixty spirals

From Joanne Hawes (England) ~
I loved all the tiles from #100 and loved the fact you wrote at what number people joined in from, lovely idea :).
Here is my tile for this weeks it's a string thing. Nice and easy tangles just what I needed after having a sickness bug raging through our house the first half of this week!. All better now though :)
I got my coloured pencils out today for some brightness after raining for 4 days here!
Had fun making LG rixty beads :)
Tangled Tidbits -
*super sparkle and detail lines
*LG and Rixty combined
*sweet variations of LG

From Jai, The Yorkshire Tortoise (Ireland) ~
I loved your thank you tile, so joyous. The string was interesting this week, especially with only two tangles to put in it. To hear how I risked my life to produce this tile please turn over to my blog.
Tangled Tidbits -
*two Rixty at a time
*diverging Rixty
*three versions LG

From Cheryl Stocks (Arizona) ~
I'm so happy for you and for all of us. We are blessed!
Now, to get back on track...no. 101
I was embracing the concept of "enoughness." I explain on my blog--
it's from this week's Diva challenge.

Tangled Tidbits -
*Rixty string lines
*two large LG
*awesome aura and shading


From Sarah Antoinette (Michigan)~
I am drawing with my hand in a wrist brace, so I had to glamorize it up a bit to make up for my shortcomings in accuracy. I enjoyed myself with this challenge so much I didn't notice the pain that much. It was nice! Loved the tangles, Ms. Bruno's and Rixty. They will get a lot of use! my blog
Tangled Tidbits -
*a very glamorous tile it is!
*Rixty string lines
*LG as an elegant filler

From Sally Sheldon (Massachusetts) ~
I had a chance to buy 4x6 black and brown stock card paper so that is what I am enjoying now as you can see by my completed challenge.
So glad you are beginning the next century.
Tangled Tidbits -
*cleverly LG topped lines of Rixty
*white center hearts of LG
*boldly striped LG


From Lynne Harvey (California) ~
I recently discovered two new techniques and was anxious to incorporate them on a tile...
I started with a repeated pattern stack of Triangles (right corner) to compliment the main shape in Rixty, then embellished with a variation of Fescu - I like the little triangles. Rixty is also larger at the top, with a little Tipple as a filler and in the lower left corner. I used LG in the other two areas and added a few Dew Drops too. The middle looked too "white" so I added a few Bubblz. You can read more on my blog 
Tangled Tidbits -
*pleasing blend of tangles
*triangles repeated throughout
*wonderful depth in Rixty

From Beth Gaughan (North Carolina)  ~
Here is my tile for this week's string thing. I think it looks a little like a Dr. Seuss illustration.
Tangled Tidbits - 
*cascading LG
*Rixty topped curls
*diverging Rixty


From Efie (Holland) ~
Tangled Tidbits -
*multiple aura for Rixty
*a lovely LG Rixty
*wonderful compliment of light and dark


From Ilse Lukken (The Netherlands) ~
This is my entry for challenge #101.
It's on my blog as well.
Tangled Tidbits - 
*beautiful combination of light, dark, and shaded spaces
*fabulous depth with shading
*very angular Rixty compliments the curves of LG


From Emily Shelton (Kentucky) ~
Here’s what I wrote in my blog
OK, Adele Bruno got a little sentimental this week with her "It's a String Thing"Challenge. In addition to using String 101 (see tanglepatterns.com for all the strings), we were to use Rixty and LG.
Adele says, "Maria Thomas authored Rixty in honor of Rick Robert's 60th birthday and LG is my tangle inspired by my husband, Lou."
Maybe that explains why my tile, morphed from my original intention into this kinda romantic piece. I spent hours, honestly, looking for some patterns that were whimsical and playful because LG was throwing me. All attempts at using it to fill an empty space just fell flat in my eyes. Too messy!
With no clear plan ahead, I went with Dooleedo by Ksenija Vojisavljevic (try typing that 5 times fast!!) along one of the string lines and hoped the Zen-muses would lead me on from there. Because I did Dooleedo with curved lines, I curved up Rixty and suddenly my whimsical direction was out the door. Sweet and romantic it would be! The addition of Grav-ee by Laurel Sponseller and Flux (Z (r)) sealed the deal.
Now where in the heck was I going to put in an LG now? Sloppy sentimentality is one thing...a sloppily aured heart on my lovely tile is quite another. So, look closely for the smallest, single LG ever! I almost abandoned it entirely, but I think it fit the theme just fine when I minimized it.
I've turned this tile around and around and can't decide which orientation I prefer. Let me know which way you would have placed it.
To keep with the flow of things...I'll dedicate this tile to my own sweet hubby John. He always prefers tiles that have more white space, so he should be happy! xxxooo

Tangled Tidbits -
*wispy, wonderful tangles
*curls for the tips of Rixty
*a happy bit of LG :)


From Karin (Germany) ~
This week I really had a lot of fun with “Rixty”. Somehow when I started I nearly coudn´t stop.  But I think at the end there was enough space left to place your pattern LG as well.I am very happy with the result!
Tangled Tidbits -
*Rixty border and string lines that diverge as the lines intersect
*lovely LG filled spaces
*superb shading


From Deb Jacob (Wisconsin) ~
What a great collection of tiles for your 100th challenge. You are inspiring! Thanks so much for taking the time to respond to my challenge contribution - judging from the amount of tiles submitted, I'm guessing that took up a lot of time. Your blog is great - Love your Wednesday Words of Wisdom. Here's my response to String Thing #101. On with the show!
Tangled Tidbits -
*a happy blend of tangles
*layers of Rixty
*red shaded LG


From Jessie Plouffe (Connecticut) ~
Happy birthday Lou! For this tile, I decided to use a heart
tangleation of Rixty to go with the heart shape of LG.
Tangled Tidbits - 
*heart shaped Rixty string lines that form a heart :)
*really lovely layers of LG
*soft, subtle shading


From Beverly Gotthardt ~
This was quite the challenge. 2 new to me tangles. I was going to try to leave some white space, but just couldn't stop filling in. LOL
Here's my blog post.
Tangled Tidbits - 
*a beautifully filled in tile!
*lovely contrast of straight and curved lines, light and dark
*pops of red


From Annie Taylor (Spain) ~
In haste this week but sent with love. 
Tangled Tidbits -
*elegant combination of the tangles
*sparkle, shading, and a touch of color
*cascading LG

A very warm welcome to Lisa Preston (Georgia) ~
I am relatively new to Zentangle (since this past June) and pretty much self taught out of a book and Linda Farmer's site. And my goodness, it's addictive.
I found your blog and love the idea of a weekly challenge to help me keep learning.
These two tiles are my first attempt at "duotangles". Hard to use just two tangles, but definitely an interesting challenge. For my second tile (which I think is showing up as the first attachment) I did a sort of heart tangleation of Rixty as an experiment.
I know we aren't supposed to have an orientation for our tiles, but I stopped when my other one started looking a bit like a butterfly.
Thanks for the challenges. Love your blog. I'm looking forward to taking in all of the creativity.



Tangled Tidbits -
*heart shaped Rixty with lovely aura that mimics LG
*super shading throughout
*wonderful white space


From Sue Agnew (Arizona) ~
The best news on Good News Day was that there's a challenge #101! (I'd feared you might "retire") I know it's a lot of work for you but I (and many others) so appreciate it!
So here's 101. I hadn't spent much time with Rixty so it was fun to play with it using heart shaped openings.
Tangled Tidbits -
*three overlapping Rixty hearts
*LG seems to fold in the middle
*bold black centers of Rixty



From Cathy Cusson ~
This challenge was fun!! I love the tangles you chose and they seem to work so well together.
Tangled Tidbits - 
*lacy heart shaped Rixty tangled over the initial triangle
*lovely layers of LG
*delicate vines


From Sidney Kapinos (Virginia) ~
My entry for this week's challenge is attached [and on] my blog postThis is the first challenge tangle where I added a touch of color. :) Things got a bit tight in the upper left corner with the diverging Rixties because I didn't leave enough room. I managed to squeeze them in though. I tried to vary the presentation of the two tangles so that each section looks distinctive. Overall I'm happy with how my tile turned out and I think it is pretty festive.
As always I look forward to seeing the results on Monday. And Happy Birthday to your husband!
Tangled Tidbits -
*Rixty in all its glory - diverging, spokes, curves...
*varying sizes of LG
*coils tie the tangles together


From Rhonda Roy (Vancouver Island)
Here's my duotangle for It's a String Thing #101. Both tangles were new to me, so it was fun learning them and putting them together.

Tangled Tidbits -
*a gorgeous field of LG
*dark lines of Rixty
*great shading


From Ingrid (The Netherlands) ~
I worked with pleasure on this tile. Lots of zen moments. Couldn't resist to bring some color in the hearts. I love colored hearts, they are so happy and cheerful.
Tangled Tidbits -
*a very happy and cheerful tile indeed
*Rixty spokes at the intersecting string lines
*vibrant colors


From Michele Wynne (California)~
Another challenge emerges from the depths of a "Dud" ;-)
This started out as "Rixty" practice on a throwaway watercolor tile I'd pretty much messed up. I just kept going with it and then put it aside because it got way too busy.
I picked it up again two days later and it didn't look so bad.
I went into a little more detail on my blog.Thanks again for inspiring another fun journey.
Tangled Tidbits -
*a tremendous reminder that there are no mistakes, only creative opportunities - this turned out beautifully
*wispy curls push past the border
*elongated 'petal' shapes of Rixty 

From Sharyn Penna (Massachusetts) ~
A new decade begins ... Yamit's string turned into Hollibaugh branches; LG and Rixty mashed together and wrapped itself over, under, around and through. A little shading, a thank you for another inspirational prompt and a HUGE happy birthday to Lou. Cheers to a week of festive celebrating! 
Tangled Tidbits -
*one word for this tile - yummy!
*thick string line 'vines'
*LG / Rixty intertwining 'vines'


From Linda Gonclaves (Pennsylvania) ~

I really enjoyed working with this one. 

Tangled Tidbits - 
*an explosion of LG in all sizes
*Rixty in multiple forms
*delicately tangled string lines


From Portia Hyde (Michigan) ~
Tangled Tidbits -
*LG string lines
*gorgeous deep black centers and shaded 'creases' of LG
*shaded triangles of Rixty


From Becky Welty ~

Tangled Tidbits - 
*Rixty string lines sprout from one large spoke
*vibrant red LG
*super shading


From Marla Mendenhall (California) ~
Adele, how do you do it? Every week I wonder at your choices, and yet when I see what everyone creates I'm certain of your Mensa membership.
While I'm not overly fond of hearts (I think I drew too many on my notebooks in school next to the names of silly boys) I do love the sentiment of LG so I tried to make it work for me, like 1) having it evolve out of Rixty or 2) as a cloud; while troubles tangle on the Rixty road of life, high above it LG floats. (Gag. I didn't say that. I wasn't here.) 3) I...I...I don't know. All too fun.


Tangled Tidbits -
*Rixty triangles that gradually morph into LG
*an extraordinary  All about V's by Ksenija Vojisavljevic look for Rixty
*double lined aura to one side of LG - that is fabulous
(I can't say that I have ever been accused of being a Mensa member, but I relish the thought :)


From Susan Theron ~
Here is my contribution. I like both tangles and enjoyed this.

Tangled Tidbits - 
*white space is fabulous and makes the tangles stand out
*delicate Rixty string lines
*superbly shaded LG


A very warm welcome to Simone (Germany) ~
I have found your blog and challenge "It's a String Thing" some weeks ago and I follow every week the results with lot of fun!
Last week I read about the celebration of one hundred weeks of this wonderful challenge. And I am overwhelmed about the stunning results and all the good wishes which you have received for that.
So I decided to try my first attention to your challenge this week...
I have watched your Zentangle Promotion video, too - you did a very good job, I love it!
I myself started with Zentangle in January, 2015, and I love to practice it. I wish I had more time for tangling, when I see all the great tiles, I am on edge to learn more and try more patterns!
So this is my first tile for "It's a string thing' - with congratulations from my side for the 100 as well as the birthday of your husband!
[on] my blog
With great admiration for learning on your own, here are a few
Tangled Tidbits -
*layers of LG with a few centers that poke passed the border lines
*super shading
*wonderful movement in Rixty


From Felicity Strohfeldt (South Africa) ~
Thank you for the amazing video. Now I can put a voice to the person. Soft-spoken. Fabulous. You are getting closer and closer to us all. Well done friend! Also a happy birthday to your Hubby. Hope he has a blessed new birth year.
Now the tile 101. Rixty is new to me. Found it exciting and versatile. LG is lovely to do and has many possibilities. I landed up following the string line with Rixty and LG floated in ever so gracefully along the line and melted in automatically as part of the partial background and the drifting LG’s separated, creating a balloon-like festival effect. Great for a celebration. Then contradictory to the “hearty tradition” I opted for some blue heart shapes in the middles. Felt little strange to use red in this case. To verify my choice, I researched some of the meanings of Blue. I came up with splendid meanings: dignity, tranquillity, spiritual powers and of course blue has a calming effect on us. I think these great meanings typify the different birthday boys, who inspired your challenge this week.
My blog
By the way we had some rain on the west coast and it’s been a bit frosty, cold during the last week. The Eastern Province has had the heaviest falls of snow in the past 50 years this week. Brrr!


Tangled Tidbits - 
*a beautiful tie-in with the color blue, its meaning, and the birthday boys
*thick flat center line of Rixty decorated with multiple shapes
*tremendous depth of field with LG - its shading, color, sizes, centers, and those breakaway hearts


From Audrie Wiesenfelder (Arizona) ~and on her blog: Purple Butterfly


Tangled Tidbits -
*a single dark line of Rixy
*wonderful cluster of LG
*LG shaded beautifully



And now...the tile for honors this week...was sent in by
Linda Bladen of the UK!

She wrote ~

Herewith a tangle for this week's challenge. I love Rixty and thoroughly enjoyed working with this string. Thank you for helping me find my mojo again 



Tangled Tidbits -
*string lines of Rixty spokes
*circles and triangles of Rixty
*just a few LG, beautifully shaded



Congratulations, Linda!

I have a little some thing coming in the mail for you.

Many thanks for the resources we used this week along with my LG ~

TanglePatterns String 101 by Yamit Fridman 
and
Rixty by Maria Thomas


It was especially fun to see LG in your tiles.  Thank you for the good wishes for Lou's birthday.  
Here is a recent (and favorite) photo of us  ~


Check back Tuesday afternoon for "It's a String Thing" #102!





2 comments:

  1. I always like coming here when all the entries are posted to see the variations people come up with! I like that we don't see all the tiles until the end of the week - it's fun to see where they all come from and look for a common theme (this week filling in the center of LG with red seemed popular, as was showing the string in Rixty) and I didn't think of making the shape of Rixty a heart, but several did - cool! Very inspirational - nice entries this week! This challenge is becoming one of my favorites :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats to Linda from the UK! I thought I'd lost my mojo when I hurt my wrist so I know how nice it is to complete a lovely tile. Great job!! Sarah.

    ReplyDelete