Tuesday, June 2, 2015

"It's a String Thing" #94 Tiles

This week's challenge was a nod to the gift of May flowers and the 'bouquets' are just beautiful.

I've listed the artist's location whenever possible to give a greater appreciation of the global appeal of Zentangle®.  Let's take a look ~

The first tile arrived from Sandra in "cold" Germany ~
thanks for this exciting challenge :-) I only knew the pattern Wist before and I tried to tangle all four patterns in my tile. I really liked Fleuri and the Sooflowers, they are so nice and effective.
On my blog...

Tangled Tidbits -
*beautiful black spaces
*soft shading
*free roaming Jasmin


From Ilse Lukken (The Netherlands) ~
Nice, flowery tangles!
You can find my entry at my blog as well...

Tangled Tidbits -
*single string of Wist
*Jasmin - shaded tangle and unshaded white space
*Sooflower trio

From Carmela (The Netherlands) ~
Thanks for this beautiful, flowery challenge.
i liked it a lot, string and patterns and i decided to tangle this time with great patterns.
My blog 

Tangled Tidbits -
*banner of Fleuri
*single file line of Jamin
*Wist - aura-ed, shaded, and lined


From Lori Byerly (Washington State) ~
What a lovely theme ~ spring flowers! I so enjoyed working with your choice of flower-like tangle patterns and look forward to seeing all the "gardens" others create.
You may also see my tile here.

Tangled Tidbits -
*superb shading
*dark aura, lines, and spaces of Wist
*Sooflower 'stems and leaves' in Fleuri - so clever!



From Sarah Antoinette  (Michigan) ~
I used three of the tangles and had a good time trying them out as they were all new to try out. I enjoyed using the string although I altered it a bit but I am still proud that I stuck with it!  [My blog]

Tangled Tidbits -
*wispy leaves for Wist
*Sooflower on a line and free floating
*blue Fleuri


From Beth Broadway~

Tangled Tidbits -
*half lines of Wist (I love those!)
*various sizes of Jasmin
*black and white aura for Wist

From HeidiSue (Idaho)~
This is such a pretty string, lots of flow. Loved playing with it, and with the patterns you gave us. All of these patterns are new to me, and I enjoyed them very much. I think my favorite is Jasmin, but Fleuri seems like it would be loads of fun, broken out of a grid and set free!
Lots to play with, string as well as patterns. Thanks
Tangled Tidbits -
*curved grid for Jasmin
*wonderful background and tendrils for Sooflower
*sparkled Fleuri

From Henrike Bratz (Germany) ~
Here comes my tile. I’m very happy with it. It seems to be a good idea to practice a new pattern first – even if only so on a really small area in my sketchbook.
Tangled Tidbits -
*alternating dark and lightly lined curves of Jasmin
*gorgeous layers of Wist
*lovely variations of Sooflower
*fabulous Fleuri

From Susie F (Missouri) ~
I think this is too busy. I have a hard time leaving white space. If I did this again, I would probably only use 2 or 3 of the tangles.
Tangled Tidbits -
*lightly lined curves of Jasmin
*shaded grid of Fleuri
*large orbs of Sooflower

A very warm welcome to Marian G (California) ~
Good Morning!
I have just begun to get involved in doing tangles and am loving it. Your site has helped me immensely, so when I received the e-mail regarding this week's challenge (#94), I decided to give it a go.
I am still learning about putting different patterns together (and am trying to acquire a steadier hand), but this is what I came up with. I followed the string as best I could, but it took off on it's own, which is the point, I guess!
Thanks for all your guidance and tips!
Tangled Tidbits -
*that is exactly the point of strings :)
*pleasing balance of light and dark and shaded spaces
*light and dark Wist
*beautiful bunches of Sooflower



From Sally Sheldon (Kentucky) ~
Such fun after a long winter. Flowers blossoming in the gardens. Flowers blossoming in Zentangle. 
Tangled Tidbits - 
*light and lovely tangled string lines
*Fleuri centerpiece
*weighted outlines of Sooflower


From Linda Fristoe ~
I completed but failed to send #92, and just couldn't pull it together for#93, but here is #94!
I wasn't sure about Fleuri but I think it balances the Jasmin here. The Sooflowers were way too fun! If I had started there, I may not have added other tangles!

Tangled Tidbits -
*wisps of Wist
*band of Jasmin with dark ends of Fleuri
*splashed of Sooflower

A few days later, Linda followed up with this tile and note - so much fun!
My Sooflowers were behaving themselves quite nicely until one stepped over the line! Then I had NO control over them!


From Tabby B. (Kentucky)~
I just love floral patterns. I had a wonderful time playing with these. Can't wait to see what everyone else does with them. [my flickr]


Tangled Tidbits -
*delightful details
*dark path with two variations of Fleuri
*flowering Jasmin :)



From CZT Tabitha Bedoukian (Quebec) ~
I hope you've had a great week. :) Here's my submission for #94. And it's not past the due date! Lol I'm toying with the idea of adding a little colour. If I do, I'll send it along.


Tangled Tidbits -
*delicate lines and shading
*Jasmin curves blooming with Sooflower and Wist
*another appearance of Wist halves - such fun!

From Joanne F ~
The only one I've used before is wist (& I really like it) so I practiced the others couldn't get jasmin right so I left it off ( I'll come back to practising that though as I like the look of it). I really like fleuri I'm sure that will come up again in my drawings. And soo flowers were fun coming up with as many patterns as I could inside the petals ( there all different) :) I descided not to shade this tile as I'm not sure it would bring out the tangles much. Also on my blog 
Tangled Tidbits -
* nicely sparkled Fleuri
*uniquely different Sooflowers
*graceful Wist

From Beth Gaughan ~
Here is my entry for this week. I enjoyed this challenge. In keeping with the floral theme, I also used the patterns Flora and Wabi.
Tangled Tidbits -
*nice blend of tangles
*large single Fleuri flower
*wonderful Wist


From Lily Moon (Hungary) ~


Tangled Tidbits -
*fabulous Fleuri - so many thoughtful details
*awesome aura for Wist and Sooflower
*addition of sparkled perfs to Jasmin, along with shading and alternating brown and black spaces - so yummy!


From Ingrid Coventon (The Netherlands) ~

I love to draw all organic tangle patterns, so this challenge was really yum and very nice to do. Thank you.
Tangled Tidbits -
*string lines of Sooflower and Wist with lovely aura
*a garden of Jasmin
*curls for Fleuri


From Amrita Chaundhary  ~
I like wist a lot and its movement. The dilemma was to use Jasmine or Fleuri in the middle section. And when I decided to use Fleuri, wist came in again to join the flow. Sooflowers on the banks of the river bring "Spring" to the tile.
This time I used a bit of colour too.
Tangled Tidbits - 
*a lovely description!
*alternating light and dark lines of Wist
*striking garden of Sooflower



From K Bish ~
Enclosed please find my newest tangle. "Springtime Reflection 2"(I apparently have a "1" somewhere)
What a fun little tangle! All those flowers! Such a summertime feel. Loved it!


Tangled Tidbits -
*such a colorful garden
*flowers for Wist
*Fleuri grid shared with Jasmin



From Deb Jacob (Wisconsin) ~
Good Morning Adele, We have lots of May showers here in the cloudy state of Wisconsin. Hope that they bring lots more flowers. I loved these tangles - besides smiling, creating with nature inspired tangles is my favorite. Here's my tangle for this week -just felt the need to add color to these wonderful patterns. Thanks for the inspiration and challenge. Loved, loved, loved it.


Tangled Tidbits - 
*aura-ed Wist - very nice look with the broken lines
*Sooflower sprinkled with the center swirls
*beautiful colors


From Ragged Ray (United Kingdom) ~
Great to meet Jasmin - a wonderful tangle I want to use much more. Fleuri begged to be popped on those 'spare' grid crossovers! In my enthusiasm my tile started to look a bit cluttered, so I tried to reintroduce some definition by using a bit of colour. Not quite sure it's worked - but it looks quite cheery!

Tangled Tidbits -
*quite cheery, indeed!
*overall grid of Jasmin
*Wist travels over and under - note how each petal is aura-ed



From Cathy Cusson ~
Several "new" tangles for me to try this time! I had these in my tangle notebook, but don't recall ever having used any of them. I started to add some color and then decided to work in the more traditional black and white. Sometimes using that is more fun because I don't have to stress over "what color looks right". Of course that being said, I will probably head to the paint and markers later on today. I guess both ways are fun!
Tangled Tidbits -
*yes, black and white is less stressful and part of the masterful thought behind the Zentangle method
*playful string line of Sooflower, nicely aura-ed
*shading adds to the layered look of the tangles

From Jane Glotzer (Colorado) ~
This one turned out to be very busy, but I still like it! So flowery for spring...
I started with WIST, and added a couple of aura lines to create space for a black background and a buffer, then put the "blanket" of FLEURI in the middle--varied the pattern a touch by offsetting the flowers, instead of lining them up and using striping instead of solid black. Finished with an explosion of a combination of SOOFLOWERS and the floral piece from JASMIN. In a bit of post-tangling contemplation, maybe I would have preferred the FLEURI to be in the background a little more, but I try to appreciate when I can just "go with the flow" and not pre-plan too too much!!

Tangled Tidbits - 
*...and that is great advice - "go with the flow"
*bold black aura of Jasmin
*alternating detail lines of Fleuri
*creative collection of florals

From Carol Bourret (Oregon) ~
Another lesson learned ... will they never stop? I'm sure the point is to never stop working at your craft ... no matter whether you like the results or not. I still enjoyed doing it. But maybe next time I'll trying doing this with white ink on black paper!


Tangled Tidbits -
*little perfs for the grid lines of Jasmin
*delicate detail lines in Fleuri
*a very pleasing balance of light and dark


From Cheryl Rotnem ~
I, oh so loved the string and the tangles you chose! so much fun to do. As you can see, my Jasmin came out kinda different! That's how we tangle!!! Actually, these are some tangles I may use again and again! I use Micron 01 black, brown, and green. Chalk pencils were used thru out my tile. Some graphite shading on Sooflowers and the Wist!

Tangled Tidbits - 
*center path of Fleuri
*highlighted curves of Jamsin
*Wist string line


From Sidney Kapinos ~
Here's to May flowers! Pretty tangles this week...
The link to my blog
Tangled Tidbits - 
*Jasmin springs from Wist
*center string section of Jasmin
*pretty Sooflowers


From Brie Zobel ~
I feel something is slightly off here, and it is probably the fleuri ribbon on the bottom right. My dark/light balance is off. I really like how my wist came out, though, like a wall of ivy!
Your help for Jasmin came a day late for this challenge, but thank you so much for posting it! I could really use the help on that tangle.

Tangled Tidbits -
*wisps of shaded Wist
*perfs along the string lines
*great Jasmin variation

From Portia Hyde (Michigan) ~
 ...Tried it twice this week. Both are busy but were fun.
Tangled Tidbits -
*superb shading
*overlapping and aura-ed Wist
*pops of Sooflowers look dimensional

From Sue Agnew (Arizona) ~
Here's #94. Thank you so much for your hints for Jasmin ... I hadn't thought of doing the shapes from the inside out, and it really helped to make them more attractive as well as more relaxing to draw. Plus it provided enough negative area that I was able to put Fleuri in it. I drew the Fleuri shapes in a continuous line (like Antidot) and thought how proud you'd be. I was surprised when I finished the strip of Jasmin that it began to take on a cylinder-type appearance (kind of like happens with Copada) so I shaded it that way. Wist and Sooflowers were fun to draw too.

Tangled Tidbits - 
*Yes, I am very proud of your continuous line Fleuri :)
*lone, lovely line of Wist
*sprinkle of Sooflower


From Sharyn Penna (Massachusetts) ~
Each week I print out your prompt including the string tangle list and tangles on a sheet I can grab and go. Obviously I don't always double check the copied tangles to the list ... I copied Genevieve Crabe's Flourette instead of Fleuri and didn't realize until I was writing the tile details on the back of the tile. Rather than redo my tile, I'm sending it anyway ... I was tickled how well Flourette fit nicely with Jasmin. So, maybe my copy error was meant to be. A happy ending. I'll remember to double check in the future. 

Tangled Tidbits - 
*a happy mix of tangles - surely "meant to be"
*Echoism blend of Wist
*Sooflower string lines



A very warm welcome to Linda Fine - the creator of the string we sued this week :) ~
Thanks for using MY string this week! I was excited!!! I have been doing your challenges, but have never sent them in! I knew that I had to get this challenge finished in time this week! Thank you for stretching me outside my "comfort" tangles! I have learned some new tangles that now rank along other favorites!
Tangled Tidbits - 
*light and lovely shaded Jasmin
*floating Fleuri
*large Sooflower

From Becky Welty ~
I had trouble with this weeks challenge getting the tangles and string to work together. I tried several times and this one is my favorite.

Tangled Tidbits - 
*Fleuri butterflies
*heart topped Wist
*soft colors and beautiful balance of tangles


From Audrie Weisenfelder (Arizona) ~
Here's this week's String Thing. Same tile, different points of view; just couldn't decide between the 2 orientations. I enjoyed this one, but for the life of me, I couldn't fit in Sooflowers in a way that I liked. So here they are...
As usual, they are on my blog: Purple Butterfly

Tangled Tidbits - 
*sensational sections of Fleuri and Jasmin - note how the grid changes in size
*weighted center line of Wist
*aura and shading

From Susan Theron (South Africa) ~
All the tangles were new to me with the exception of Sooflowers. Also on my blog.
. I just want to say to my fellow tanglers that I learn a lot from you!
You are talking about spring, but our winter is starting now - cold and wet.
Tangled Tidbits - 
*large Jasmin contrasts well with the smaller tangles
*intermingling of Sooflowers and Fleuri
*soft shading

From Annie Taylor (Spain) ~
Some lovely new tangles for me, although I didn't manage to do all of them justice, I don't think....I am going to try Jasmin again very soon as I made it too 'slanting' this week. It's lovely. And I was surprised how much I enjoyed Sooflowers and how sweet they look.
Thanks for a lovely challenge!
Tangled Tidbits - 
*very sweet Sooflowers
*Jasmin tangled and shaded to appear rolled
*thicker outer curve of Wist petals

From CZT Lucy Banta (New Jersey) ~
I struggled getting my tile to look good, but I think this one's OK.
[on my blog]
Thank you for another fun week!!

Tangled Tidbits - 
*Jasmin 'stem' for a very detailed Fleuri complete with a Sooflower trim - so fun!
*thick outlines of Wist 
*Wist topped with Sooflower


From SuzyMosh ~
Here’s my tile for #94. I’m not sure I got the Jasmin right, but I did get in the Zen creating it.
My blogThanks for the challenge!


Tangled Tidbits - 
*Sooflower topped Wist
*shared grid for Fleuri and Jasmin
*simple, soft shading

From Daniel Lamothe ~
Hopefully it isn't too late ^_^ I can't decide if I like the first tile more with or without the Sooflowers in the background, so I'm sending them both. Such a fun challenge, thanks!


Tangled Tidbits -
*large rounded Wist pops through Fleuri
*fabulous Fleuri - curved detail lines
*smaller Sooflowers give the illusion of depth


From Peggy Kohrmann (Colorado) ~

Tangled Tidbits - 
*perfs in Jasmin
*curved look to Fleuri
*garden patch of Sooflower



And now, the tile for honors this week was sent in by 
Anna Mega from Greece!



Tangled Tidbits -
*wonderful depth through shading - notice each Sooflower with multiple shades of gray and white highlights
*Jasmin and Fleuri share grids
*Wist changes as it travels over black to white

Congratulations, Anna! 

I have a little something coming in the mail for you.

Thank you all for sharing your work so generously with the rest of our tangling community. 

Many thanks to the creative minds behind the tangles and string we used this week~

 TanglePatterns String 094 by CZT Linda Fine 

Wist by CZT Michelle Beauchamp

Jasmin by Simone Bischoff

Sooflowers by Livia Chua

Fleuri by CZT Geneviève Crabe


Check back Tuesday afternoon for "It's a String Thing" #95!
















1 comment:

  1. Wow, so many wonderful renditions of my tangle. Thank you all, and thank you Adele!

    ReplyDelete