Monday, March 23, 2015

"It's a String Thing" #84 Tiles

What do you get when you mix together two border tangles, a grid based tangle, one free flowing tangle, and a gracefully flowing string line?  Absolutely beautiful tiles, that's what!

Let's take a look~

This first tile arrived from Lori Byerly in Washington State who wrote ~
I enjoyed the loop-dee-doo feel of this week's string. Plus I got to use a new-to-me pattern. Lovely challenge.
You can also see my tile here.

Tangled Tidbits - 
*ribbon-like space for Antique 
*escaped orbs from Antique - how fun!
*wonderful line pattern for the darker sections of Arrow Heads



From Germany, Sandra said ~
...thank you for this wonderful challenge :-) I liked the twisting string and the patterns and I was so happy about Amoeba, because it's one of my favourites.
In the last days I was trying to use colored paper for my zentangle tiles and so I used a light blue-grey paper for your challenge.
It was a great fun for me to tangle my tile :-)
In my blog
Tangled Tidbits -
*beautiful white highlights
*Amphora string line looping around a single Amoeba
*reversed light/dark sections of Amoeba



"Salutations très printanière" from Juul in France who said, "Wow,this time,I saw the challenge and tangled it right away...."
Tangled Tidbits - 
*delicate lines
*aura-ed diamonds of Amphora
*pretty shading



Lily Moon, creator of the fabulous Amphora, sent word and a tile from Hungary ~

Thank you for you have chosen my tangle pattern. I'm honored :)
Here's my tile for your weekly challenge. I can't wait the tiles of other tanglers :)
                            

Tangled Tidbits -
*It is a treat to use Lily's tangle and to have her send in a tile!
*curvy and splendidly shaded Amphora (as only Lily could tangle)
*lovely variation of Antique


From the Netherlands, Carmela said ~
Again a beautiful challenge with much opportunities.
I used 3 of the four patterns and i enjoyed it very well.
On my blog
Tangled Tidbits - 
*dark background of Antique
*aura in both variations of Amphora
*delicate variation of Arrow Head


From Cheryl Stocks in Arizona ~
I haven't done one of your challenges in a couple months, but I saw someone else's response posted for this week and I thought I'd give it a go. I like "Amoeba" a lot and thought that would be a pattern I'd work with, but this went a very different and minimalistic route.
For your viewing pleasure:
It's also posted to my Flickr feed.


Tangled Tidbits -
*sense of depth as the width of Antique changes
*sweet and simple tangle


Michele Wynne writes from California ~
I've gotten so behind on my challenges these past few weeks and it was just the inspiration I needed to get back to work. I posted the tiles I missed on my blogThis tile started out as a practice run...trying to rough out the pattern placement and it just took off on it's own. I wasn't planning to use all of the patterns but they just seemed to find their place. I liked the contrast of all four. I ended up spending so much time on it I knew I wasn't going to have the bandwidth to repeat it.
Thanks again for all of the inspiring work here.


Tangled Tidbits - 
*superb shading
*Antique without the channel lines
*darker Amoeba and Arrow Head background


From Debra in Mississippi ~
Thank you again for providing such fun!
I enjoy scrolling through all the wonderfully beautiful and expressive tiles from all over the world.
Again, all the challenge tangles were new for me. It was fun to try each one and add them to my journal.
I thought this was going to be a tough one to use all four tangles on because they are so different in the feel and flow. But, I was determined to try and I am surprised! I didn't think the sharp triangles would work with all the curves.

Tangled Tidbits - 
*wonderful balance of straight lines and curves
*pretty variations of Antique


Joanne Hawes said ~
Here's my tile for this week. Featuring antique, amphora and arrowheads. I really like antique but struggle to see it as anything but a border or a string going through so I'm looking forward to seeing if any new variations come up.:) I also find that arrowheads was hard to get the lines right despite it looking so simple I tried freehand and with a ruler neither worked out well. Maybe it's practice I need :) these were all new tangles to me.
Tangled Tidbits - 
* always trust your freehand :)
*nice variations of Amphora
*fabulous frame of Antique


Talia Maynard wrote ~
Thank you for this challenge. Another complicated string that got the grey matter working! I love the mixture of curves and angles in this challenge and I even had a go at shading with a tortillion this week! Learning as I go as usual.

Tangled Tidbits - 
*variations in the size of Antique
*sections of Amoeba look rounded
*superb shading


From Vicky Brison in Montana ~
Tangled Tidbits - 
*waves of Amphora
*a blanket of Amoeba
*great variation of Arrow Head


From Marie Tvrdikova from the Czech Republic ~
I have missed two previous strings and patterns...but now I am here again with the tile – string 083. The name: Spring :-). The day after tomorrow spring is starting. Well at last!!!

Tangled Tidbits -
*a wonderful nod to spring
*singular blossom of Antique, beautifully detailed
*stipple and shading for Amoeba and Antique
*heavy and light lines for Amphora


A warm welcome back for Ragged Ray in the UK ~
At long last I managed to sit and tangle and hereby offer you my tile for this week's challenge. I've missed it so much!
I kept it fairly simple, choosing single elements of two of the tangles and looping them around each other. I think it lacks a bit of contrast somehow but has a fairly eager spring attitude about it.
Tangled Tidbits - 
*a very "eager spring attitude" in the tangles :)
*entwined simple elements of Amphora and Antique 
*delicate highlights and shading



From Susan Theron in South Africa ~
This was really a challenge for me deciding where to put what in the string. I am not a fan of Amoeba and therefore there is only one and on it's own. Also on my blog

Tangled Tidbits - 
*three pretty variations of Arrow Head
*lovely take on Amphora
*one big Amoeba happy to be included :)




Susan Szathmary wrote about her entertaining journey with this tile ~
This just makes me laugh out loud!
I love the tangle patterns antique and amphora... So I eagerly jumped into a composition with the string pattern, drawn free hand - I plunged in with the amoeba and arrow saving the best for last !!!! HA! It quickly became disappointing and I impulsively took my scissors and voila! 4 pieces ! Take that you terrible tangle!!! On my way to the garbage I had another impulse - a little tape and rearranging..... I just had to share before I give it another go!
Oh the Joy!
A few days later, she followed up with her "uncut" version ~

Tangled Tidbits - 
*aura for Amoeba
*stipple and shading of Antique
*a very light and lovely Amphora



From Felicity in South Africa ~
Anyhow tile 84. A lovely swirly string. Tome Amphora has a greek feel to it and Antique goes well with it, so what to do with informal Amoeba and ever so geometric Arrowhead. First i decided on a ribbon effect, as I suspect many will also, then decided not to use obvious Antique in it. Off I went with Amphora in the ribbon decided to use elements of Antique. Then OMW I decided Arrowhead is too geo and finally let Amoeba spill out of the furls of the ribbon. I’m comfortable with the result.
On my blog...
All the best for the week. Enjoy Spring we've had our first night of rain here.

Tangled Tidbits - 
*a very happy tangle adventure
*border of Antique created with one half of the pattern
*Amphora wonderfully morphed into a ribbon shape
*super shading


From dear Ingrid in the Netherlands ~
All I can say is, that it is what it is. Nice to meet and play with all patterns new to me.
Much greetings from a very rainy and cloudy first day of spring season in The Netherlands. But there is hope; Spring has just begun.
Tangled Tidbits - 
*big and bold Amoeba
*lines of Amphora move from simple to complex and back again
*a dainty border of Antique


From Jane Glotzer in Colorado ~
Fun choices this week with a string that looked quite inviting...
I started with the Arrow Heads in the "background" and as I was working my way down with the dark triangles, I decided to do the lighter, striped versions on the bottom and liked how that came out...then I saw those two roundish shapes and I used them for Amoeba and did a positive/negative take...lastly I combined the final two spaces and had my Antique flow through...squeezed a teensy bit of Amphora in the middle of it all, but without the fun swirls...I played with the shading a bit and I am pretty happy with the final piece...I think it has a nice balance...
Happy Spring to you and all the tanglers around the world!
Tangled Tidbits -
*superb tangleations of Arrow Heads
*shading of Arrow Heads changes the look and depth of the pattern
*blending of Amphora and Antique


From New Jersey, CZT Kath Gregitis said, "This week, I was not sure if I would get around to the challenge, but here it is. The amphora is a bit incomplete, and morphed into something else."

Tangled Tidbits - 
*Arrow Heads and Amoeba contrast nicely with their angles and curves
*just the center section of Amphora - lightly shaded



From Illinois, CZT Sue Jacobs returns, "I finally got a chance to get back to your challenge. Some fun tangles this week!"  (Sue's blog.)



Tangled Tidbits~
*wonderfully shaded white spaces
*bolder Arrow Heads and Amoeba balance the delightfully delicate Amphora and Antique


From Tonia Marie, here and on her blog ~


Tangled Tidbits - 
*sensational swirls of pattern
*tightly knit Amoeba
*light and weighted lines


From my fellow Floridian, Betsy~
As a beginner this was a challenge. But that is the point right? To learn and grow. I love creating these tiles because you can do it without a plan. Just fill in one space and then another and it all comes together. Such a wonderful sense of freedom.
Yes, it is!
Tangled Tidbits - 
*awesome aura for Arrow Heads
*star burst lines for Amoeba
*splendid shading


From Arizona's Audrie Weisenfelder~
When I first started playing around with these tangles, they were in different places.But when I actually started working on the tile, in true Zentangle fashion, they got reversed.
Also on my blog.


Tangled Tidbits -
*tangles flow into each other as they flow with the string line
*a single row of Arrow Heads - what a great idea!



From Cathy Cusson ~


Tangled Tidbits - 
*Arrow Heads in three variations - notice the curved lines in the middle section
*pleasing balance of white space and tangles


Daniel Lamothe wrote ~
This was a really fun tile to draw...I've never used Amoeba before, but it's so enjoyable and produces such a bold result that it's probably going to creep into a lot of my other Zentangles ^_^ Amoeba and Arrowheads were both quite stark and graphic, so I tried to replicate that with Antique by coloring it in. It took a really long time to tangle, but this is definitely one of my favorite tiles that I've ever done ^_^


Tangled Tidbits - 
*beautifully bold tangles
*sparkled centers of Amoeba
*silhouettes of Antique



Suzanne Moshier said, "I went into an uncomfortable place for me this time---all black and white. My Arrow Heads didn't turn out right, but the rest is OK." (On her blog )

Tangled Tidbits - 
*Arrow Heads turned out just right!
*lines of Antique and Amphora blend
*shading adds depth



And now, the tile for honors this week comes to us from 
Magdalene Lee !

She wrote ~
Here's my tile for this week. Lately my strings seem to be disappearing in my tiles – I start out following them but at the end you can hardly see that I followed them! All four tangles were enjoyable to draw, and Amoeba in particularly was super fun.
I've also posted the tile on my blog.


Tangled Tidbits -
*wonderful depth achieved as the width of Amphora and Antique move from narrow to wide
*double curls of Amphora
*Amphora changes as it dips under Antique
*Amoeba morphs into Arrow Heads
*double circles at intersecting points of Arrow Heads alternate light and dark


Congratulations, Magdalene!  I have a little something coming in the mail for you.

Thank you to everyone for sending in your wonderful tiles this week.

Many thanks to the creative minds behind the string and tangles we used ~

TanglePatterns String 083 by Anne Marks

Antique by Kathy Barringer, CZT
Amphora by Lily Moon
Amoeba by Linda Dawson
Arrow Heads by Linda Farmer, CZT

Check back Tuesday afternoon for "It's a String Thing" #85!

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful and creative tiles. Congratulations everyone and special thanks to those, who used my tangle pattern :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had somehow missed printing out Challenge #84 so tried to do it today. Took me awhile as I thought the Challenge # matched up with the String # till just now. Now I have it. Too bad my computer won't let me do attachments. Actually now it won't let me scan it in either. Says there's not enough memory. But It's been purged etc. regularly and the computer itself says I have lots of memory. Oh Well... Nice work everyone.

    ReplyDelete