Monday, October 20, 2014

"It's a String Thing" #62 Tiles

This week's IAST was a celebration of birthdays. The challenge was to use my new tangle Uncorked as a monotangle for my birthday- or use Uncorked with a pattern of your choice in honor of your birthday.

The results are just phenomenal - each tile a beautifully wrapped gift.  And what fun it is to receive and give gifts for a birthday.  Let's take a look ~

The first tiles arrived from Kristen Kostelnik Killips.  She wrote ~
I hope you had a lovely birthday and thanks for another fun challenge! Our meetup group was just a duo tonight and we decided to tackle both your challenge and this week's Diva challenge on a single tile. Below are our efforts and here is the link to the blog post.


How interesting to see two tiles together with both variations of the tangle - enclosed and open.  Each melds nicely with the surrounding tangles. The embellishments are lovely, especially the scallops and dots.

Lily Moon wrote ~
I celebrate your birthday with this tile. (On my blog) I hope you have a wonderful day full of happiness and that your wishes come true! Happy Birthday dear Adele

A beautiful bouquet of bubbling Uncorked bulging from the tile - that is a happy birthday gift!


Sara Belmont-Kleingeld said, "Firstly, a very happy birthday for yesterday... hope you had a great day.  Here's my challenge #62. I have done a monotangle using Uncorked..."

It is a marvelous monotangle - note how Sara added details to the white space of the tangle as well as the double lines of it (the thick stripes).  Uncorked springs from the string line and looks so festive with the stipple and tipple of the background.

Cheryl Stocks wrote ~
I like your new pattern and a couple weeks ago I found it the same day I found Tina/Akua-Art 'Yuma.' Sooo this is a duo tangle of the two. Your string is loosely described underneath it all. Yes, i involved my computer, as I've been known to do, but all that is disclosed on my blog entry.
To use a word from Cheryl's closing - this is brilliant.  It is brilliant in color, line, and design - yum!



Ilse Lukke wrote~
Happy belated birthday, Adele!
As a present ;-) I used your tangle Uncorked as a monotangle...
It was nice to do a monotangle, I hardly ever do that, but I like the result! I also put this tile on my blog.

Large looming light and dark legs of Uncorked overlapping and changing from space to space - this is very lovely and graceful.




Lori Byerly said ~
Happy Birthday, Adele!
I hope you have a blessed day and that you're very spoiled by your loved ones. :)
Here's my take on string #62 and uncorked (I used Laura Harms' boo*kee as my second pick). You can also see my tile here [on my blog]
How fun to celebrate everyone's birthday.



These tangles are very pretty together.  The orbs of Uncorked as Lori created them here are three dimensional - the detail lines, the shading, the thicker outline - all add to the sense of depth.  The generous white space is the perfect compliment to the tangles.


Carmela sent sweet wishes ~
At first I wish you had a beautiful and lovely birthday with all your beloved people around you.
I like your new pattern Uncorked.
Its very elegant and lovely.
In honor of all the beautiful challenges you make for us, and as a present for your birthday i made a Monotangle with Uncorked.
You can also see it on my blog.

This is a playful and pretty assortment of Uncorked - one more festive than the next.  It looks like a party, doesn't it?!


Cheryl Craver said ,"...loved uncorked the first time I saw it, it has soooo many possibilities but I just had to go with the free form shapes on their own, put 3 baby ones in the tipple !!"

Three baby ones - so very cute!  They compliment the three larger ones and they are fun to spot in the midst of the tipple.  Note how Cheryl dotted off several of the lines of Uncorked - that is a nice touch.


Lucy Banta - soon to be CZT - wrote ~
Happy Birthday Adele!! I hope you've had a good week celebrating as all birthdays deserve at least a week of parties and fun.!

Attached is my Uncorked tile where I also used Paradox. It was fun learning a new tangle, and I see Uncorked could be used to create some fun patterns.

Here's the link to my blog 


Lucy added detail lines around Uncorked that play well into the neighboring Paradox.  Note how she also carried the alternating white space and shading through both patterns.


Annemarie wrote, "I hope your birthday was a day filled with love and presents :-) Here is the link to my blog..."
This is very special - and it does only happen on a rare occasion - when two artists use a similar configuration of tangles.  Annemarie sent her tile in from Holland.  Lucy sent hers from New Jersey, here in the States.   They arrived in my inbox back-to-back.  An ocean apart - literally thousands of tangles to choose from and they both used Paradox - isn't that fun?!



A very warn welcome to Katie Booth who wrote ~
Hi :) This is my first posting to you for your challenge. I've attached a pic and included a link to my blog post. Not sure what you need for an entry, but I think I covered the bases. I really enjoyed your tangle, uncorked!
Katie created a splendidly stark contrast by creating large spaces of black and white.



Ragged Ray wrote ~
Belated birthday wishes – I hope you had a wonderful day!
What a pleasure to spend more time with your Uncorked tangle – I’ve been playing with it a lot lately and I love it. And I have more more more things I want to do with it too! It’s very versatile – the sign of a great tangle! But for now here is my tile. I stopped myself from adding more as I like the way that strange prehistoric beast looked like it was coming in to land!

What fabulous imagery and fabulous tangles...she added sparkle, darkened in spaces, superb shading, and even added Printemps in the larger tangles.



Christine Forrester sent well wishes with a wonderful sense of humor ~
Many Happy returns of the day for your Birthday (was it your 21st?)
This one I intended as a Mono-tangle but while completing the lovely Uncorked, that I have just learned, it called for Diva Dance (I hope you did a lot of this on your Birthday) and N’zeppel, all surrounded by some birthday Tipple.
Regards
Christine Forrester (nearer 62 than she would like)


That is a birthday celebration in pen and ink - happy tangles with a very festive feel.


Kelly Rickert wrote~
I LOVE LOVE LOVED this week's challenge!
I started thinking I was just going to do a monotangle and play with "Uncorked," but then I looked through tangles I've used and remembered that Betweed (original Zentange by Maria and Rick) is one of my favorites! I figured "eh, I'll try it, see what happens." I didn't even realize at first how similar Betweed and Uncorked could be when played with. I ended up having a blast putting them together :)


That is a very interesting observation about the two patterns - and even more interesting is the way Kelly morphed them together.  Note the large, darkened Uncorked with Betweed - a fabulous variation.


Sharyn Penna said ~
Happy Birthday Week, Adele!
Uncorked strikes me as the fraternal twin of Mooka.
I thought I had remembered how to do you tangle...I was early to pick up my daughter yesterday, and tangled a tile relying on my memory. It wasn't until I opened my email this morning that I realized I'd omitted the outer circle. But I discovered without the circle the Uncorked pods could overlap, sit behind, unfurl outward and become swirly blades reaching up and out. I got wonderously lost in this tangle. Thank you for your birthday gift to us all! Hope your celebrations continue through the weekend. 
Uncorked without the outer circle is actually in the design of the tangle - and Sharyn's tile is a remarkable study in what it can do when it is set free of the initial circle.  Her descriptive phrases are ones I will archive with the tangle and most rewarding is that she "got wondrously lost" when tangling it.  Delightful!


Jane Glotzer's cheery note read ~
Happy, happy birthday Adele! Hope your celebrations have been wonderful and I'm sending along wishes for birthday love, happiness, peace, creativity, art, and passion!
How generous of you...for your birthday you gave all of us a gift by sharing your fun new pattern Uncorked and giving us a reason to play around with it for this week's challenge--:) I love it...in my exploration I came up with a cool little variation with a swirl as the last flourish in the center, but it didn't make it into my final piece...I've been doodling it everywhere and I'm sure it'll be in my work soon...
I started with the smaller versions and darkened the background for the negative space effect...then the large one filled the right side and I used circles in the background for the variation...the two mirror images pretty much decided where to go by themselves, and then I gave it all a positive/negative contrast by darkening/dotting the pattern "leaves" in that corner and leaving the background light...a little bit of shading (was a little unsure how to approach that here, so as usual, I will be looking at others' work to see what they tried) and I very much like my finished piece--happy Adele's birthday to me--:)

Jane's tile is a gorgeous balance of light and dark. She also added that she likes to celebrate a birth 'week' - and I agree.  These tiles are helping me accomplish that!


Susan Theron's note read, "Love your tangle."

That is an understatement based on her tile :)  Look what she did by growing it from the 'stem' of the string line.  She turned it into a very organic tangle - and adding the green really made it pop.  Note how the detail lines Susan added to the pattern compliment the tipple that surrounds it.


From Carolyn  Russell, CZT ~

I would like to submit two tangles for this week's challenge in honor of your birthday! I love "Uncorked!" Being one continuous line made it so easy to draw. I first thought of my grandmothers snake plants that she dearly loved and always had in a pot by the back kitchen door, so I had to add a touch of green. Then I thought how dramatic it would look with black leaves so I did another tile. I added Fescu and Tipple (Zentangle originals) which always seems to show up in my art work to the second tile. Thank you for this very creative pattern. And may you have a lovely year ahead and get to celebrate every day as though it were your birthday celebration!

I love the connection she made to her grandmother and to snake plants - I remember them well as house plants in the north.  
In addition to the additional tangles, Carolyn added spectacular sparkle to make this pattern shine.  



Ingrid Coventon sent "happy congratulations" along with her tile ~

In the attachment my tile for challenge # 62.
I had such fun playing with your newest tangle Uncorked. Coincidentally I celebrate my birthday ... this week as well. That's why I made a duotangle, and Aura-leah (by Carla du Preez)seemed to fit in perfectly. So here it is.....


That makes me smile to think we have the same birthday week.  It makes me smile too, to see that Ingrid thought of a plant as Carolyn and others did.  Notice how she used tipple in the middle of her Uncorked orbs - it adds to the organic feel.



LonettA sent best wishes ~
...first belated happy birthday to you! I wish you all the best and I hope you had a wonderful day on your birthday.
I´m really glad that I have managed your "It´s a String Thing" challenge this week. This tile is my little present for you!
I hope you like it! I used your tangle "Uncorked" only ... and a little bit of "Tipple"!


To say that I like it would be an understatement.  This is a splendid study of Uncorked.  The grey paper makes both the shading and highlighting shine and plays so well with the red.  LonettA added great depth with her shading as well.


Another soon-to-be CZT, Judy Wanner sent along happy wishes as she prepares for the upcoming seminar - so exciting!

She added that she loves Uncorked and it shows in her work.  She created a beautiful bouquet in the center with wonderful variations of light, dark, shading, and sparkle.  The circular shapes in the center with the angular back drop of Florz  creates an interesting contrast.



CZT Joan Delony wrote ~
Love Uncorked! I drew it with Flora and embellished with a couple Iza leaves. Uncorked reminds me of an onion sliced down the middle or a bud waiting to burst open. I hope I drew it right!
I hope you like your Birthday Gift! I have also posted this on my blog.
Yes, I do like it very much!
And after playing with it a bit more, Joan created a seascape with this tile ~
I love this - at first, I pictured an underwater seascape, but then the more I studied it, the more I imagine this drawn in the sand with the bubbles from a wave floating across it.  It makes me relax just looking at it :)


From Caren Mlot, CZT ~
I’m attaching 2 tiles I did this week for It’s a string thing. I had not used Uncorked yet, but I love it! My first tile, the white one, I used the string, but it totally disappeared in my design. The 2nd one, the black Zendala... I showed both these tiles in my blog and talked about them here.
Can’t wait to use Uncorked again. Thanks for a great tangle.
Many thanks for the kind compliment, Caren.  Her tile is light and lovely and graceful ~


Her zendala is just gorgeous ~ the pattern glows against the dark paper.   





A very warm welcome to Elena Müller who wrote ~
Hello,
first I want to congratulate birthday.
This is my first participation of your challenge and I realize... I send my Tile you with a warm "Happy Birthday" (subsequently).
For errors I apologize, I do not speak english, I use a online translator.
Für meine Tile habe ich benutzt:
Tangle Patterns string #062, Pattern "Uncorked" by A. Bruno and "Swarm" by Rick Roberts and Maria Thomas.
I admire what it must take to communicate in a language you don't know.  That is another reason Zentangle® is so remarkable - it ties us all together through its own language.
Elena created a tropical feel to her tile and the touch of red is very pretty.


Peggy Kohrmann wrote ~

Happy birthday Adele,
Since I had followed your instructions for Uncorked when you posted it, I was excited to know the tangle for this week. I selected Bilt by Lisa Skeen as my other tangle.
I understand that your tangle closes but my large tangle went off the page and so is open. Love the variations.
I like Hibred but picked Bilt instead since I like the scale effect. Enjoying the white space and shading too.


That is the most wonderful effect - to have the tangle run off through the border and leave it open.  Ditto on the white space and shading!


Annie Taylor said ~

I was so pleased to have the chance to use this lovely new tangle of yours - and I always enjoy a mono or duo tangle challenge. But I actually found it really difficult to do. Yours are so lovely and work so well....and I have practiced and practiced but in the end, I haven't managed to pull off what I wanted to achieve. However, here are my Uncorked Melons, together with a little Yuma, which is another new tangle I've enjoyed playing with.

But these are lovely!  Annie layered the tangles, added delightful detail and splendid shading, too.


Kirsten Bish wrote ~
Here is my tangle "Nature Study". As you can see, I did a monotangle of Uncorked.
I love this tangle and will be using it again.


The details may be difficult to detect in the photo, but her delicate lines are really lovely.  The contrast of her light and dark spaces are as well.


Janice L. Johnson wrote ~
Happy Birthday.
Here is my entry for this week's challenge...I originally did only Uncorked, but decided to add Dragonair as this reminded me of an eye. I have titled it Dragon Awakening. I also did another tile that I posted on my blog here.

A dragon's eye - that is fabulous - as is Janice's choice of the two tangles together.  Her sparkle and shading are really spectacular.



And finally, this is my thank you ZIA for all of the talented tanglers
who got to know Uncorked this week,
who shared their fun with the rest of us, and
who sent along the best of birthday wishes.
It was such a special treat.

I am ever so grateful.




Stop by tomorrow for "It's a String Thing" #63 !



















2 comments:

  1. This was a feast to behold! I hope you had a spectacular birthday Adele!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your good wishes! Yes, I had a wonderful celebration and these tiles made it all the more spectacular :)

      Delete