Friday, August 8, 2014

"It's a String Thing" #51 Tiles

The string line for this challenge featured a set of straight diagonal lines along with some very lovely tangles.  Let's take a look ~

The first tile arrived from Colette Horsburgh ~

She used Fang, Fairy Wings and Facets to complete her tile.  She also posted it here on her blog, along with more of her work for various challenges.

Juul wrote, "Here is my contribution to the challenge n° 51. Very nice string and tangles!!! Merci mille fois!!!
Lucy Banta said, "Here's my tangle challenge #51. I LOVE Fancy Nancy and Fandango--two new favorites that will be really handy for future use.

Lucy varied the size and direction of her tangles, included several versions of Fancy Nancy, and added wonderful shading.  She also posted it here on her blog.

Linda Bladen wrote ~
I don't have any of the Renaissance tiles yet but have admired others who have produced some beautiful effects with them. I colour washed a square of watercolour paper and as it turned out a brownish colour I decided to use a brown pen and crayon. The colour reminds me of autumn and just today I noticed little acorns coming on our oak tree for the first time. Where is this year going?
That is very creative - not only did Linda color her own Renaissance tile, her tangleations of Fancy Nancy and Falz are fabulous.  She also posted it here on her blog.


Jocelyne Pigeon-Bernier stumbled upon a new look for Falz - isn't it pretty?


Note how she added perfs to Fandango and darkened in the spaces on either side of that pattern.


Sara Belmont-Kleingeld wrote ~
Attached is my version of your challenge. You may notice my Fandango and Fancy Nancy are not exactly as they are supposed to be, more like my 'interpretation'... is that ok or are you supposed to do them exactly as they are drawn on Tangle Patterns?
That is more than OK.  I liken patterns to handwriting.  We all write the same letters, but lend our own style to them.  Enjoy the freedom of making a pattern your own by adding your own touches to it - just like Sara did.

Ragged Ray wrote ~
What a striking string - I think I'll be using this one again went I want something a bit different.
I knew what I wanted this tile to look like - as if someone had torn away a strip of wallpaper to reveal yet another older pattern beneath. Which I've sort of achieved - but the colouring went a bit wrong and it came out rather too fleshy looking (I was going to tweak the colours on the computer but I thought that would be cheating!). But I like the way your Fancy Nancy is so eager to escape it's bursting out of the strip!
Fun to do, if not quite the result I hoped for!
 It is a light and lovely Fancy Nancy, complete with interlocking loops, dots, and tendrils - makes me so proud!

From Caroline Moore ~
Pretty Falz and aura lines fill the middle spaces and note how she used Facet in the corners.  She also posted her tile here on her blog.

Henrike Bratz chose a zendala ~

She said that the round tiles are now available in Germany - very exciting! - and this is the third one she has completed.  Note how she created a round border of Fandango and mimicked the dark line of it again in the aura of Fancy Nancy.  

From Carmela ~
See how she changed the angle of her patterns from one section to the next and added some wonderful shading.  She also posted it here on her blog.  

Kia Richardson wrote ~
Here is my entry for the It's a string thing # 51 challenge. I used the tangles Fassett, one of my favourites, Fancy Nancy, Fans and Fanz. I actually did it first without the line of Fanz, but despite my liking for white space, I actually like the more crowded version better. So here it is.

It is a very pretty tile and yes, Fanz fits just so.  The darker spaces in Fassett add a nice anchor to either side of the lighter, daintier center.  
She also posted it here on her blog.  

Annemarie sent this tile ~
What a wonderful treat of lines and shading!  She also posted it here on her blog.

From Cathy Cusson ~
I open the emails and post tiles as they arrive.  It is a rare time when tiles, similar in rendering come through.  Annemarie and Cathy live an ocean apart and look at their work.  Isn't that amazing:!!

Debby Yabczanka said ~
This one was a lot of fun. I started with fandango, I love this tangle! I bordered fandango with fancy nancy and then skipped to the corners with facet.
I saved falz till last and tried it in 2 directions and sizes. I like to add some shading at the end for a bit of grey tones.
That is a perfect description and a very beautifully tangled tile.

Deanna Spence said, "This week's creation is attached. I am now a fan of "Fandango"!
Deanna added aura and darkened in the spaces and that framed the tangles beautifully.  The larger shaded areas make the patterns stand out even more.

Sue Agnew said that she was surprised how Cruffle-ish Fancy Nancy turned out to look..."
She wasn't certain of sparkle on Fancy Nancy, but it looks great and plays nicely with the sparkle on Facet.  See how she lined the curved line of Fandango and shaded on either side - good idea!
Sal sent in this ~
She drew the string line in four directions and look how wonderful it turned out.  The added touch of pink is very pretty.

Sharyn Penna said that all of these patterns were  "new to her hand" ~
Nice and new! - and what a great tangleation of Fancy Nancy.

From Jane Glotzer ~
She so enjoyed Fascet that only at the last minute did she pop in a bit of Falz - what fun to be carried away!

Sherrill Herron said that she loved the challenge and it helped "break up her hectic schedule" - we can all relate to that ~
Sherrill sent Fancy Nancy dancing down the middle - a very nice touch.


Anna Houston is back from a long time away traveling and this is her tile ~
In addition to her terrific tangles, Anna's shading of them is wonderful.  Note how she shaded Facet and Falz especially.

Peggy Kohrmann wrote ~
With all new tangles to learn I found that Falz and I are not meant to do together!!
Fandango was my first line and because of my string is a tad off center. The center one had five fan lines-- it's busier but I like it. Grabbed Facets to put in the corners after placing auras around the Fandangos. Shading on all the tangles makes a big difference.

:Yes, shading does make a difference on all of the tangles, especially the way Peggy shaded them.

Audrie Weisenfelder sent in a color study of her tile.  Here is her original ~
And here is her wonderful color study ~

 She said she is not sure which is her favorite.  It is too difficult to choose one!

A very warm welcome to Kristen Kostelnik Killips.  This is her first submission ~

She said that she began with white pen on a black tile, but then "it just screamed for color."  Color suits it very well!

Annie Taylor thought she was late with her entry - but I am even later posting it, so here it is ~
It's a pretty one, too, with the border of Fancy Nancy and Fandango and the elongated Facet - yum!

Cristiane Plate said this was one of four tiles she completed ~
So many wonderful details here - shading, tangleations, aura, Facet corners - just to name a few.

From Cheryl Anne Day-Swallow ~
About this wonderful tile, she wrote ~
I entitled The Zentangle Zipper
Zipper teeth were created using Facets
Hand stitched area was created using Fancy Nancy
Pouch material/design created using Falz
And she included this poem ~
Poem.
A Zentangle Zipper - just wants to be
Out in the open - for all to see
Zip up my pouch – we’re on the go
Going to Zentangle – with a neighbor I know.
That is fabulous!

Meridiana sent this duotangle ~
It is such a pleasing blend of lines, straight and curved.


CZT Joan Delony sent this from her sketch book ~
Facet looks lovely centered and large - as does Fancy Nancy in the corners.  Aura, varied light weight, and shading are happy details.

From CZT Kathryn Crane ~


Falz is a nice focal point in her tile.   Shading and that wonderful edging finish it off beautifully.


And, now, the tile for honors this week was sent in by Melanie Ringler!


She called it "Hanging Vines".  I could get lost in it - crisp white spaces, dark contrasts, her neat lines, and the greens - it's gorgeous.
She also posted it here on her blog.

Many thanks to all the talented tanglers for sending in tiles for this week.

Thank you to the creative minds behind the string line and patterns used in "It's a String Thing" #51 ~

String 049 by Linda Farmer and TanglePatterns
Facet by Nancy Pine, CZT
Fancy Nancy - one of my patterns
Falz by Sue Clark, CZT
Fandango by Vicki Bassett

Stop back on Monday for the results of "It's a String Thing" #52 - A Happy Birthday Celebration.
It is not too late to join in, so please do.  This week I will be accepting submission all the way up to Monday morning!
For all the details, click here.

Have a wonderful weekend!




No comments:

Post a Comment