Friday, September 20, 2013

Budlite

A new take on a not-so-old theme:



A few weeks ago, I posted a new tangle pattern called Bud.  Since then it has proven to be one of the more popular pages on my blog.  (In case you missed the step-out for it, click here to see my earlier posts.)   

My friend Sindy has taken quite a liking to it.  While in a doctor's waiting room, she tangled Bud on the back of a notebook and sent me this photo:


I just loved it and asked her right away if I could post it.  The aura she added to Bud makes it very soft - a bit like the effect Featherfall has.

Sindy inspired me to play with the pattern even more.  What I came up with was a shortened version of Bud that I call Budlite .  You can see that it begins the same as Bud, but instead of spiraling and dipping down to a point before coming up into another one, Budlite spirals and comes up into one point.  It's easy to add a sparkle to it, too.  Budlite (I'm getting thirsty!) looks like this:

 
In this tile, I used Budlite along the string line and tangled from there:
 
 
As it happened, I hosted an open studio - Time to Tangle - yesterday afternoon and when I showed the lovely ladies in attendance my step-out for Budlite, one of them said she had seen a similar pattern.  We looked it up, and sure enough CZT® Christina Vandervlist posted a pattern named Leau on her blog a few years ago. 

At first, I wasn't sure what to do.  To post or not to post, that was the question:)  
I was reminded of a Zentangle® newsletter published May where Rick Roberts addressed the resemblance of the pattern Schway to a similar one - and I was reassured. As he said, there are bound to be very closely related tangle patterns, especially as more and more are published. 

There are subtle differences in our patterns and in the step-outs for Bud and Leau, but non-the-less it is interesting and heartening to know that creative minds think alike! 

ENJOY!




No comments:

Post a Comment